A Blessing or a Curse? Working-Class Attitudes to State Welfare Programmes in Britain 1919â€“1939
- Welfare wrapped in a patriotic flag. Bew, John // New Statesman;11/28/2014, Vol. 143 Issue 5238, p34
The article discusses Toynbee Hall, a community hall and education center in the East End of London, England. Topics include the contribution made by a number of people associated with the Hall to the creation of the welfare state and post-World War II political settlement in Great Britain;...
- Eastern Promises. Sandhu, Sukhdev // Print;Jun2008, Vol. 62 Issue 3, p64
The article focuses on the culture of the East End of London, England. It discusses the reputation of the area for being one of violence and sexuality, and it mentions the serial killer Jack the Ripper. The development of the East End into an area for artists and students is explored and the...
- Painting the Crisis: Community Arts and the Search for the â€˜Ordinaryâ€™ in 1970s and â€™80s London. Wetherell, Sam // History Workshop Journal;Oct2013, Vol. 76 Issue 1, p235
The rise of â€˜community artsâ€™ in Britain in the 1960s, â€™70s and â€™80s, has been overlooked by historians, in favour, perhaps, of the louder and messier subcultures of the time. In these decades a network of nationally and locally funded community arts projects emerged,...
- EDITORIAL. Donsbach, Wolfgang; Lipset, Seymour Martin; Noelle-neumaun, Elisabeth; Worcester, Robert M.; Traugott, Michael W. // International Journal of Public Opinion Research;Summer2005, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p147
The article reports that the effects of lawmaking on public opinion are not as frequently studied as the restrictions that public opinion puts on legislative initiatives. The latter is the subject of Rachel Meneguello's study of "Government Popularity and Public Attitudes to Social Security...
- Wide public support for a serious welfare downsizing. Zinmeister, Karl // American Enterprise;Jan/Feb95, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p16
Reports on the results of a Gallup poll on public opinion regarding welfare reform. View on welfare recipients; View on cutting welfare spending; Dismay by both blacks and whites on welfare spending; Other findings of the survey.
- Reforming welfare. // American Enterprise;Jan/Feb95, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p108
Presents statistics on public opinion regarding social welfare reforms in the United States. Reasons why people are on welfare; Views on current welfare system; Views on welfare recipients.
- Readers' response. // U.S. Catholic;May95, Vol. 60 Issue 5, p15
Presents `U.S. Catholic' magazine readers' responses to questions about welfare and welfare reform in the United States. Myths of the system; What should be included; What could be excluded; Role of the church; Image of the typical welfare recipient; Christian principles that shape one's opinion...
- Reforming welfare. Bowman, Karlyn H.; Ladd, Everett Carll // American Enterprise;Sep/Oct93, Vol. 4 Issue 5, p86
Presents data on public opinion about the American welfare system. Efficiency; Making people self-sufficient; Elimination or reduction of welfare programs.
- Thumbs down on Social Security. // USA Today Magazine;Dec92, Vol. 121 Issue 2571, p16
Highlights results of a survey on how Americans view Social Security and Medicare, conducted by Workplace Pulse. Concerns; Low expectations; Lack of understanding about Medicare and Social Security.