The Future's Not Far Away
- Dave's 2C on... keeping an eye on the starting line. Freeman, Dave // Portable Design;Aug2004, Vol. 10 Issue 8, p8
Focuses on the DARPA Grand Challenge 2004 with the challenge of designing and building an autonomous operating vehicle capable of covering 142 milies of tough terrain. Performance of the qualifiers; Need for events such as the DARPA Challenge to target the skills that need to be developed for...
- EMS TO SUPPLY NAVIGATION ANTENNA FOR ANIL F1R SPACECRAFT. // Worldwide Telecom;Oct2003, Vol. 15 Issue 10, p1
Reports that EMS Technologies Inc. has received an authorization to proceed to begin work on a Navigation Antenna for the ANIK F1R spacecraft.
- Teaching old dogs' cars new tricks. // Engineer (00137758);5/2/2003, Vol. 291 Issue 7626, p5
Reports on the development of a concept vehicle that includes an obstacle-detection system to help eliminate the need to check the blind spot in the U.S.
- Nadine in the driver's seat. Pierce, Alan J. // Tech Directions;May/June97, Vol. 56 Issue 10, p10
Presents information on ADS-1100 Automatic Driving System, less formally known as `Nadine,' designed by Horiba Limited. Distinguishing features of the robotic driving system; How Nadine must be assembled to conduct a performance test.
- Satellite Self-Protection Gains Added Attention. Wall, Robert; Fulghum, David A. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;10/28/2002, Vol. 157 Issue 18, p68
Focuses on the efforts of the U.S. government to develop self-protection equipment and electronic countermeasures for spacecrafts. Reasons for interest in developing electronic countermeasures; Need to improve situational awareness of events in space; Use of microsatellites to protect larger...
- COTS progress is incremental in vetronics. Rhea, John // Military & Aerospace Electronics;Oct97, Vol. 8 Issue 10, p16
Focuses on the advancing applications of commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) technologies into military vehicles. Distinctions between automotive electronics and COTS markets; Potentials of fiber optic data buses; Extensive applications of COTS in M1A2 tanks; Projected feature options in M1A2 tanks...
- Mars Odyssey Reaches Final Mapping Orbit. Smith, Bruce A. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;2/4/2002, Vol. 156 Issue 5, p66
Reports the completion of the final mapping orbit of Odyssey spacecraft at Mars. Preparations in deploying a high-gain antenna; Details on the aerobreaking process; Plan of Odyssey mission to use a technique called aerocapture.
- Curtiss-Wright Flight Systems wins contract for the Bradley Fighting Vehicle program. // Military & Aerospace Electronics;May2002, Vol. 13 Issue 5, p34
Reports the supply of electronic controls and subsystems for the Bradley Fighting Vehicle program by the Curtiss-Wright Flight Systems division in Warren, Michigan. Improvement of the defense hardware components; Installation of the security system sensors; Application of facial recognition...
- Satellite/ENG systems. Higgins, Jonathan // Broadcast Engineering;Oct2002, Vol. 44 Issue 10, p24
Reports on the increase in the demand for the rebuilding of ENG trucks. Use of van-sized unit in reducing noise levels; Capacity of the truck in newsgathering; Availability of remote trailers.