Guardians of patient care
- Hinchey proposes `patient-safety' bill. // AHA News;04/14/97, Vol. 33 Issue 14, p3
Introduces the Patient Safety Act of 1997 authored by US Representative Maurice Hinchey.
- All sides elbow for control as patient rights issue revs up. Cassil, Alwyn // AHA News;07/20/98, Vol. 34 Issue 28, p3
No abstract available.
- Senators head home without tackling patient rights. Cassil, Alwyn // AHA News;08/03/98, Vol. 34 Issue 30, p3
Focuses on the debate between legislators on patients' rights in the United States. Patient protection act passed by House lawmakers; Provisions of the legislation proposed by Democrats in both chambers; Information on the bill from Republican senators. INSET: Major provisions of HR 4250, the...
- New law protects patient rights. // Aging;1992, Issue 363/364, p7
Reports that on December 1, 1992, a new Federal statute went into effect, marking a major breakthrough in patients' rights legislation. The Patient Self-Determination Act (PSDA); What it requires; The conditions all health care providers receiving Medicare or Medicaid funding must meet; Who to...
- Employers scramble to turn Congress against PARCA. Geisel, Jerry // Business Insurance;12/22/97, Vol. 31 Issue 52, p27
Offers a look at the introduction and reaction to the Patient Access to Responsible Care Act in the United States. Details on support from the House of Representatives; Reference to a rise in health care premiums.
- New health measure in Hawaii. // Business Insurance;07/13/98, Vol. 32 Issue 28, p20
Reports on a patients' bill of rights measure that took effect in Hawaii in July, 1998. Stipulations of this measure; Impact of this legislation on managed care plans in Hawaii; What this legislation requires of managed care plans.
- High costs, lost jobs will result. Luehrs, Richard // Orange County Business Journal;9/16/96, Vol. 19 Issue 38, p43
Opinion. Criticizes the 214 and 216 Propositions, also known as the Patient Protection Act, of 1995. Negative impact of these propositions; Information on a study conducted by Barents Group, an internationally recognized health economics firm; Ways in which managed care plans monitor patient care.
- Dealing with friends and relatives. Fitzgerald Jr., Walter L. // Drug Topics;5/19/2003, Vol. 147 Issue 10, p46
Discusses the patient privacy provisions of the U.S. Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act of 1996. Protected health information; Disclosure of information; Drug prescription.
- The Tyranny of Autonomy. Sondheimer, Henry M. // Hastings Center Report;Mar/Apr91, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p51
Announces that The Hastings Center is planning an initiative to explore the use of advanced directives and the educational activities called for by the Patient Self-Determination Act. Passage by Congress of the Patient Self-Determination Act; More.
- Patients, providers, and the PSDA. Rouse, F. // Hastings Center Report;Sep/Oct91, Vol. 21 Issue 5, Special supplement ps2
Discusses the impact of the Cruzan case on the Patient Self-Determination Act (PSDA). Introduction of the bill by Senators John C. Danforth (R-Mo.) and Daniel Patrick Moynihan (D-N.Y.); Underlying assumption of the act; Whom the law applies to; What the law does not require; Advance directives;...