Conceptual design for a scintillating-fiber neutron detector for fusion reactor plasma diagnostics
- Time-resolved 14-MeV neutron detector for triton confinement studies. Smith, J. R.; Fisher, R. K.; Leffler, J. S.; Newman, D. E. // Review of Scientific Instruments;Aug86, Vol. 57 Issue 8, p1780
Previous measurements of triton burnup in deuterium tokamak plasmas show an anomalously small burnup for low-q discharges with significant magnetohydrodynamic activity. This may have important implications for alpha particle burnup in a fusion reactor. By developing a detector capable of...
- First measurement of neutron emission profile on JT-60U using Stilbene neutron detector with neutron-gamma discrimination. Ishikawa, M.; Nishitani, T.; Morioka, A.; Takechi, M.; Shinohara, K.; Shimada, M.; Miura, Y.; Nagami, M.; Kaschuck, Yu. A. // Review of Scientific Instruments;Dec2002, Vol. 73 Issue 12, p4237
This article describes a diagnostic for measuring neutron emission profile in JT-60U. The Stilbene neutron detector, developed by TRINITI laboratory in Russia, has been installed on the JT-60U Tokamak to measure the neutron emission profile for the first time. The Stilbene neutron detector is a...
- Long-term performance of neutron detectors during deuterium-tritium operation in the Tokamak... Jassby, D.L.; Barnes, Cris W.; Bitter, M.; Johnson, L.C.; Lemunyan, G.; Roquemore, A.L.; von Goeler, S. // Review of Scientific Instruments;Jan1999, Vol. 70 Issue 1, p1111
Examines the long-term performance of neutron detectors during deuterium-tritium operation in the Tokamak Fusion Test Reactor. Overview on the detector; Comparison of neutron yields; Statistics of yield ratios; Physical reliability.
- Scintillating-fiber 14 MeV neutron detector on TFTR during DT operation. Wurden, G.A.; Chrien, R.E.; Barnes, Cris W.; Sailor, W.C.; Roquemore, A.L.; Lavelle, M.J.; O'Gara, P.M.; Jordan, R.J. // Review of Scientific Instruments;Jan1995, Vol. 66 Issue 1, p901
Tests a compact neutron detector using an array of scintillating fibers on the Tokamak Fusion Test Reactor (TFTR) tokamak under conditions of a high gamma background. Use of a fiber-matrix geometry; Magnetic field-insensitive phototube with an active base; Pulse-height discrimination to reject...
- A proposed diagnostic for time-resolved 14 MeV neutron measurements on TFTR. Ku, L. P.; Nazikian, R.; Prorvitch, V. // Review of Scientific Instruments;Oct90, Vol. 61 Issue 10, p3193
A novel method for time-resolved measurements of the 14 MeV neutron flux in an intense 2.5 MeV neutron and ?-ray background has been developed. Discrimination against the background 2.5 MeV neutron and ?-ray flux is achieved by the use of polyethylene and lead shielding. A high detection...
- Measurements of the neutron source strength at DIlI-D Heidbrink, W. W.; Taylor, P. L.; Phillips, J. A. // Review of Scientific Instruments;Jan1997, Vol. 68 Issue 1, p536
Documents the calibration procedure for neutron counters and scintillators used to measure the neutron emission produced by the DIII-D tokamak. Detectors and calibration; Detector comparisons; Comparison with other diagnostics.
- Observation of d�t fusion gamma rays (invited). Caldwell, S. E.; Berggren, R. R.; Davis, B. A.; Evans, S. C.; Faulkner, J. R.; Garcia, J. A.; Griffith, R. L.; Lash, D. K.; Lerche, R. A.; Mack, J. M.; Morgan, G. L.; Moy, K. J.; Ortel, J. A.; Sturges, R. E.; Young, C. S. // Review of Scientific Instruments;Mar2003, Vol. 74 Issue 3, p1837
Deuterium-tritium (DT) reaction rates of imploding capsules have historically been measured using neutron detectors. Temporal resolution is limited by the size of the detector and distance from the source to detector. The reaction rates can also be measured using the 16.7 MeV gamma ray, which is...
- Upgrade of the JET Gamma-Ray Cameras. Soare, S.; Zoita, V.; Craciunescu, T.; Curuia, M.; Kiptily, V.; Lengar, I.; Murari, A.; Prior, P.; Anghel, M.; Bonheure, G.; Constantin, M.; David, E.; Edlington, T.; Falie, D.; Griph, S.; Le Guern, F.; Krivchenkov, Y.; Loughlin, M.; Pantea, A.; Popovichev, S. // AIP Conference Proceedings;3/12/2008, Vol. 988 Issue 1, p299
The JET gamma-ray camera diagnostics have already provided valuable information on the gamma-ray imaging of fast ion in JET plasmas /1,2/. The applicability of gamma-ray imaging to high performance deuterium and deuterium-tritium JET discharges is strongly dependent on the fulfilment of rather...
- Neutron diagnostics in compact helical system Isobe, M.; Sasao, M.; Osakabe, M.; Fujita, J.; Okamura, S.; Kumazawa, R.; Matsuoka, K.; Takahashi, C. // Review of Scientific Instruments;Jan1997, Vol. 68 Issue 1, p532
Discusses the application of an efficient neutron diagnostic system to deuterium experiments on compact helical systems. Counter operation in stray magnetic field; Ion temperature measurement; Confinement study of neutral beam-injected fast ion.