Cleveland Struggles to Balance the Budget and Avoid Cuts in Services
- The struggle to deliver. Steyn, Greta // Finance Week;2/10/2003, p52
Analyzes provincial spending in South Africa. Problems associated with local capital budgets; Advantages that can be provided by a decentralized system of decision-making on the nation's provincial spending; Factors influencing local spending.
- County dollar dance. Shingler, Dan // Crain's Cleveland Business;2/6/95, Vol. 16 Issue 6, p1
Reports on efforts of commissioners in Cuyahoga County in Cleveland, Ohio to finance county agencies. Financial losses in the county due to the collapse of the SAFE investment fund in 1994; Sources of funds utilized by the county.
- Hey, Nassau: Make budget deal or face Zarb. Cantor, Martin // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);10/27/2000-111/02/2000, Vol. 47 Issue 43, p58A
Comments on the budget crisis in Nassau County, New York. Significant differences in the budget proposals from Republican and Democratic legislative caucuses; Need for the Nassau Interim Financial Authority to exercise greater control over the county's budget.
- New Mexico county's budget shortfall is jail-related. Preston, Darrell // Bond Buyer;07/13/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30433, p32
Discusses efforts by officials of Santa Fe County, New Mexico to resolve its budget shortfall for fiscal year 1999. Consideration of options to solve the shortfall related to county jail construction; Issuance of correctional system revenue bonds to fund construction of jail; Failure by county...
- Tax cut, debt service included in Indianapolis Mayor's proposed budget. Goldsmith, Steve // Bond Buyer;08/05/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30450, p7
Reports on Indianapolis Mayor Steve Goldsmith's introduction of a $464 million budget for 1999 that includes a property tax reduction and about $42 million for debt service. Key provisions of the budget proposal; Financial position of the city; Indianapolis' planned bond issue for sewer work.
- NORTHEAST Bond-Watch. Vadum, Matthew; Stanton, Michael; Higginbotham, Stacey // Bond Buyer;09/25/2000, Vol. 333 Issue 30982, p39
Presents updates on local finance and budgets in the Northeastern States as of September 25, 2000. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison's disappointment at Washington, D.C. leaders' proposed increase in reserve funds; Selection of KPMG to audit Washington, D.C.'s budget for fiscal 2000; Nassau Interim...
- Budget crunch endangers business-tax cut, urban fund. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;05/14/2001, Vol. 17 Issue 20, p33
Foresees budget reductions for all departments and agencies of the state of Michigan in fiscal 2002. Possible delay in the annual rollback of the single-business tax rate; Renewal of the 'core-commitments fund'; Budget stabilization goal of the state.
- The Use of Budget Reforms to Modernize Governance in German Local Government. Adam, Berit; Behm, Christiane // Public Money & Management;Sep2006, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p217
This article discusses the NPM-style reforms being introduced to German local government. The authors focus on the experiences of the city of Uelzen in Lower Saxony because it is quite advanced in terms of implementing NPM-based reforms.
- Bonds get bosst from N.J. budget. Hoffman, David // Bond Buyer;01/26/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30565, p1
Focuses on New Jersey Governor Christine Todd Whitman's budget for fiscal year 2000. Proposal to use cigarette tax money to finance capital improvements at public schools; Sales of bonds; Plan to reduce property taxes.