Point: Music Censorship is Necessary to Protect Children
- SOUNDS OF SEX. Moran, Terence // New Republic;8/12/85 - 8/19/85, Vol. 193 Issue 7/8, p14
Discusses the concerns raised by various groups regarding the sexual and violent content in popular music in the U.S. Mission of the Parents' Music Resource Center; Themes in the songs created by singer Prince; Impact of rock music on children; Samples of popular songs whose lyrics depict...
- Music Censorship: An Overview. Newton, Heather // Points of View: Music Censorship;2014, p1
An overview of music censorship is presented. Concerns regarding freedom of expression and the protection of social values in connection to music censorship are described. Vocabulary such as "Censorship," "Obscenity," and "Self-regulation" are defined. Particular focus is given to a history of...
- The Feller from Fortune. Fowke, Edith; Rogers, Tim // Canadian Folk Music;Jul1982, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p23
The article discusses some aspects of the lyrics of the Newfoundland folk song "Feller from Fortune" that express sexual connotations. According to the authors, the idea of "boys and girls all fishing together" in verse 1 contradicts with standard practice that only men do all the fishing. A...
- Jackie & Jill. // Time;6/16/1961, Vol. 77 Issue 25, p24
The article reports that British Lord Chamberlain has censored and ordered to delete the lyrics of a song from a skit in the forthcoming play entitled "The Lord Chamberlain Regrets."
- Song lyrics under fire in Maryland. Holland, Bill // Billboard;03/01/97, Vol. 109 Issue 9, p6
Follows the debate over song lyrics in the United States. The Maryland law that would prohibit the state retirement and pension fund from investing monies in any companies that sell sound recordings advocating violence, sexual deviance or drug or alcohol abuse; Actions of the Recording Industry...
- `Sultry songs and censorship: A thematic discography for college teachers.' Cooper, B. Lee // International Journal of Instructional Media;1993, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p181
Examines the clash between sexual imagery and social control over contemporary song lyrics. Tendency of popular music lyrics to attempt to censor explicit, suggestive commentaries; Exploration of the potential negative impact of record banning within a democratic society; Assembly of...
- The melodies of Mayhem. Brownback, Senator Sam // Policy Review;Nov/Dec98, Issue 92, p38
Discusses issues on music containing profane or violent lyrics in the United States (US). Impact of violent music to the buying public; Examples of hyper-violent music released in the US; Legislative standards on violent music.
- Publishers 'missing out' on app opportunities. Forde, Eamonn // Music Week;5/22/2010, Issue 20, p9
The article discusses the impact of the excessive and complex licensing models for lyric and chord applications in Great Britain. It highlights the claim of Joris Kluivers, founder of Tarento, regarding the damages caused by licensing issues which compromise applications. Moreover, it notes that...
- Biosecurity and Censorship: the H5N1 Influenza Controversy. Hirsch, Martin S. // Journal of Infectious Diseases;Jun2012, Vol. 205 Issue 11, p1621
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various articles within the issue on topics including freedom of expression remaining unhindered by excessive editorial censorship, potentially chilling effects of censorship and moving forward in a way that benefits society.