Point: Music Censorship is Necessary to Protect Children
- SOUNDS OF SEX. Moran, Terence // New Republic;8/12/85 - 8/19/85, Vol. 193 Issue 7/8, p14
Discusses the concerns raised by various groups regarding the sexual and violent content in popular music in the U.S. Mission of the Parents' Music Resource Center; Themes in the songs created by singer Prince; Impact of rock music on children; Samples of popular songs whose lyrics depict...
- Music Censorship: An Overview. Newton, Heather // Points of View: Music Censorship;3/1/2016, p1
An overview of music censorship is presented. Concerns regarding freedom of expression and the protection of social values in connection to music censorship are described. Vocabulary such as "Censorship," "Obscenity," and "Self-regulation" are defined. Particular focus is given to a history of...
- `Sultry songs and censorship: A thematic discography for college teachers.' Cooper, B. Lee // International Journal of Instructional Media;1993, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p181
Examines the clash between sexual imagery and social control over contemporary song lyrics. Tendency of popular music lyrics to attempt to censor explicit, suggestive commentaries; Exploration of the potential negative impact of record banning within a democratic society; Assembly of...
- The melodies of Mayhem. Brownback, Senator Sam // Policy Review;Nov/Dec98, Issue 92, p38
Discusses issues on music containing profane or violent lyrics in the United States (US). Impact of violent music to the buying public; Examples of hyper-violent music released in the US; Legislative standards on violent music.
- Biosecurity and Censorship: the H5N1 Influenza Controversy. Hirsch, Martin S. // Journal of Infectious Diseases;Jun2012, Vol. 205 Issue 11, p1621
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various articles within the issue on topics including freedom of expression remaining unhindered by excessive editorial censorship, potentially chilling effects of censorship and moving forward in a way that benefits society.
- THE BIG QUESTION. // New Humanist;Summer2015, Vol. 130 Issue 2, p72
The article provides answers to a question related to free expression and censorship.
- Are We Too Prudish For Our Own Good? Simone, Tiberio // Lesbian News;Dec2011, Vol. 37 Issue 5, p6
The author reflects on the freedom of expression enjoyed by citizens in the U.S. that is different in his perception as an Italian. He explains that people from his homeland embrace sensuality in their daily activities, while Americans confuse it with sexuality. He cites the censorship of...
- SM Mall 'curtailed' free press. // Filipino Reporter;4/27/2012, Vol. 40 Issue 21, p13
The article reports that the SM Mall of Asia was accused by the Burgos Media Center of acts of censorship, violence and suppression of freedom of expression after members of mainstream and alternative media were prevented from covering the dispersal of anti-demolition and anti-tree cutting rally.
- Censorship or Freedom of Expression? (Book review). Fairbanks, Marilyn // School Library Journal;Jan2001, Vol. 47 Issue 1, p143
Reviews the book `Censorship or Freedom of Expression?,' by Nancy Day.