Socio-demographic, health-related and psychosocial correlates of fear of falling and avoidance of activity in community-living older persons who avoid activity due to fear of falling
- Prevalence and correlates of fear of falling among elderly population in urban area of Karnataka, India. Mane, Abhay B.; Sanjana, T.; Patil, Prabhakar R.; Sriniwas, T. // Journal of Mid-life Health;Jul-Sep2014, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p150
Context: Falls are a major public health problem in the elderly population. Fear of falling (FOF) among elderly persons can compromise quality of life by limiting mobility, diminished sense of well-being and reduced social interactions. India is undergoing a demographic transitional phase with...
- Falls Efficacy Scale. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p845
A definition of the medical term "Falls Efficacy Scale," which refers to an instrument used to identify the fear of falling in the elderly as a factor in their reduced function and independence, is presented.
- Factors associated with fear of falling in people with Parkinson's disease. Lindholm, Beata; Hagell, Peter; Hansson, Oskar; Nilsson, Maria H. // BMC Neurology;2014, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p1
Background This study aimed to comprehensibly investigate potential contributing factors to fear of falling (FOF) among people with idiopathic Parkinson's disease (PD). Methods The study included 104 people with PD. Mean (SD) age and PD-duration were 68 (9.4) and 5 (4.2) years, respectively, and...
- Determinants of disparities between perceived and physiological risk of falling among elderly people: cohort study. Delbaere, Kim; Close, Jacqueline C. T.; Brodaty, Henry; Sachdev, Perminder; Lord, Stephen R. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (Overseas & Retired Doctors Edition;8/28/2010, Vol. 341 Issue 7770, p436
The article discusses a study which investigated the prevalence and determinants of irrational fear of falling among elderly people as well as the manner in which they affect future falls. The cohort study involved 500 men and women aged 70 to 90 years who were randomly recruited from a...
- ICT-based system to predict and prevent falls (iStoppFalls): results from an international multicenter randomized controlled trial. Gschwind, Yves; Eichberg, Sabine; Ejupi, Andreas; de Rosario, Helios; Kroll, Michael; Marston, Hannah; Drobics, Mario; Annegarn, Janneke; Wieching, Rainer; Lord, Stephen; Aal, Konstantin; Vaziri, Daryoush; Woodbury, Ashley; Fink, Dennis; Delbaere, Kim // European Reviews of Aging & Physical Activity;11/27/2015, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p1
Background: Falls and fall-related injuries are a serious public health issue. Exercise programs can effectively reduce fall risk in older people. The iStoppFalls project developed an Information and Communication Technology-based system to deliver an unsupervised exercise program in older...
- Fear of Falling: An Emerging Public Health Problem. Lach, Helen W. // Generations;Winter2002/2003, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p33
Discusses the fear of falling experienced by older adults and the problem it poses on public health. Prevalence and incidence of fear of falling; Interventions for fear of falling; Components of an individualized treatment plan.
- RISK FACTORS FOR FALLS IN OLDER PERSONS ATTENDING OPHTHALMOLOGY CLINICS. Austin, S.; Ferrigan, L.; De Alwis, D.; O'Mahony, P. G. // Age & Ageing;Jan2008 Supplement 1, Vol. 37, p15
The article discusses a study which determined the risk factors for falls among older patients at ophthalmology clinics. A screening for 100 randomly selected patients about their history of falls and other conditions was conducted. Based on the results, the risk factors for the patients' falls...
- Brave new world. Miskelly, Bronagh; Mickel, Andrew // Community Care;6/11/2009, Issue 1774, p22
The article discusses technologies that can help older people in living independently for longer. Elderly people will be able to take up the choice of remaining at home if they have access to some of the newer telecare and assistive technologies. Telecare is centred on the idea of the emergency...
- "A Matter of Balance" Workshop to be held at Patton Center. // Munday Courier (TX);8/ 4/2011, Vol. 34 Issue 32, p5
The article offers information on the A Matter of Balance: Managing Concerns About Falls workshop to be held at the Perry Patton Community Center on August 8, 2011 and October 6, 2011.