Trends in thyroid hormone prescribing and consumption in the UK
- Thyroid hormone use and bone density in men. // American Family Physician;3/1/1996, Vol. 53 Issue 4, p1350
Reports on a study published in the 1995 issue of the `Archives of Internal Medicine' periodical by Schneider et al who evaluated the effect of thyroid hormone replacement therapy in a community-based sample of elderly men. Methodology of the study; Research design; Indications that thyroid...
- Reduced serum free thyroxine concentration in postmenopausal women receiving oestrogen treatment. Abdalla, Hossami I.; Hart, David M.; Beastall, Graham H. // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);3/10/1984, Vol. 288 Issue 6419, p754
Assesses the thyroid hormone state in postmenopausal women receiving estrogen treatment. Reduction of serum concentration due to estrogen treatment in postmenopausal women; Causative factor of physiological reduction in free thyroid hormone during pregnancy; Increase concentration of thyroxine...
- Are your hypothyroidism patients getting too much thyroid hormone? // Modern Medicine;Apr96, Vol. 64 Issue 4, p49
Presents an abstract of the article entitled `Excessive thyroid hormone replacement therapy,' by J. Nuovo, A. Ellsworth, D.B. Christensen, et al. which was published in the November-December 1995 issue of the `Journal of American Board Family Practice.'
- Estrogen negates the ill effects of long-term thyroid treatment among postmenopausal women. // Modern Medicine;Oct94, Vol. 62 Issue 10, p66
Presents a summary of the article `Thyroid Hormone Use and Bone Mineral Density in Elderly Women,' by D.L. Schneider et al., from `JAMA' dated April 27, 1994. Efficacy of estrogen replacement therapy in negating the risk for accelerated osteoporosis among postmenopausal women who take...
- The influence of growth hormone monotherapy and growth hormone in combination with oxandrolone or testosterone on thyroxid hormone parameters and thyrxine binding globulin in patients with Ullrich- Turner syndrome. Schmitt, K.; Häusler, G.; Blümel, P.; Plöchl, E.; Waldhör, T.; Frisch, H. // European Journal of Pediatrics;1997, Vol. 156 Issue 2, p99
Administration of human growth hormone (GH) has yielded conflicting results concerning its role on thyroid function in patients with Ullrich-Turner syndrome. Therefore, we investigated the course of thyroid hormone parameters and thyroxin binding globulin in relation to GH therapy, IGF-I and...
- Long-term thyroid hormone replacement therapy. Sowiński, Jerzy // Thyroid Research;2013, Vol. 6 Issue Suppl 2, p1
An abstract of the article "Long-Term Thyroid Hormone Replacement Therapy" by Jerzy SowiÅ„ski is presented.
- Thyroid hormone-dependent seasonality in American tree sparrows (Spizella arborea): effects of GC-1, a thyroid receptor Î²-selective agonist, and of iopanoic acid, a deiodinase inhibitor. Mishra, M. K.; Wilson, F. E.; Scanlan, T. S.; Chiellini, G. // Journal of Comparative Physiology B: Biochemical, Systemic & Env;Aug2004, Vol. 174 Issue 6, p471
To explore the role of TH in the control of seasonality [i.e., photoperiodic testicular growth, photorefractoriness, and postnuptial (prebasic) molt] in American tree sparrows (Spizella arborea), we performed experiments in which THX males were simultaneously photostimulated and given TH...
- COMMENTARY: Review: Available evidence does not support a benefit for thyroid hormone replacement in adult with subclinical hypothyroidism. Gharib, Hossein // ACP Journal Club;Jan/Feb2008, Vol. 148 Issue 1, p6
The author comments on the study that does not support a benefit of thyroid hormone replacement therapy for subclinical hypothyroidism. He pointed out that the finding is premature enough to consider that the subclinical hypothyroidism should not be treated with thyroid replacement therapy. He...
- Menopausal Hormone Therapy for the Primary Prevention of Chronic Conditions. BUCKLER, AILEEN; VOSS, JAMESON // American Family Physician;3/15/2013, Vol. 87 Issue 6, p437
An American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) evidence-based continuing medical education quiz on menopausal hormone therapy for the prevention of chronic illness is presented.