Euroscepticism To Weigh On EU Ties
- Santa Klaus is Coming To Town. Shepherd, Robin // World Today;Jan2009, Vol. 65 Issue 1, p26
This article discusses concerns of the international community about the ascent of Czech President Vaclav Klaus to the role of president of the European Union (EU) on January 1, 2009. Klaus has openly dismissed the validity of such global concerns as climate change and has expressed a belief...
- Holdout Vaclav Klaus Signs Lisbon Treaty Creating EU Super-state. // New American (08856540);11/23/2009, Vol. 25 Issue 24, p8
The article reports on the Lisbon Treaty signed by Czech President Vaclav Klaus. It notes that the president is skeptical of the said treaty for he is not in favor of creating a European super-state, but he signed it due to intense pressure from European Union (EU) leaders and some governments...
- Czech mate for REACH legislation. // TCE: The Chemical Engineer;Sep2008, Issue 807, p5
The article reports that the European Union's (EU) registration, evaluation, authorisation, and restriction of chemicals (REACH) legislation did not receive an approval from Czech president Vaclav Klaus. The president stated that the legislation would fully subjugate the Czech chemicals industry...
- A DOG WITHOUT A MASTER. Urban, Jan // New Presence: The Prague Journal of Central European Affairs;Spring2004, Vol. 6 Issue 1, p31
Reports on the European Union accession of the Czech Republic. Rejection of the government's foreign policy; Political leadership of President Vï¿½clav Klaus; Call for transparency in the government
- We shouldn't fear a federation. Zlatu�ka, Jir� // New Presence: The Prague Journal of Central European Affairs;Autumn2003, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p4
Reports on the signing of the accession treaty by Czech Republic President Vï¿½clav Klaus. Objections concerning the possible unification and federal organization of the European Union; Threat to European democracy; Antithesis to voluntary coexistence among countries of Europe.
- Czech Senate Impeaches Klaus, EU Wary of Expanding Schengen Zone. Boissevain, Joshua; Caloianu, Ioana; Krauthamer, Ky; Zickgraf, Connor // Transitions Online;3/11/2013, p2
The article offers news briefs related to world politics. The Czech Senate has voted to impeach outgoing President Vaclav Klaus for treason. Germany said that it will oppose the entry of Romanian and Bulgarian to the Schengen area till the two countries do more to fight corruption. Formal...
- The man in the pink Tatra. Lloyd, John // New Statesman & Society;06/07/96, Vol. 9 Issue 406, p20
Reports that the political influence of Vaclav Klaus will enable the Czech Republic to wield considerable influence within the European Union. Resistance to economic change; Channeling of the aggressive energy of Klaus.
- Hard act to follow. lago, Dafydd ab // Accountancy;Jan2009, Vol. 142 Issue 1385, p88
The article focuses on the transition of power of the President of the European Council from French president Nicolas Sarkozy to Czech Republic president VÃ¡clav Klaus. It states that concerns about a lack of professionalism are unfounded. Radek HonzÃ¡k, a spokesperson for the Czech...
- New Leader, Wrong Time. Underhill, William // Newsweek (Atlantic Edition);12/29/2008 (Atlantic Edition), Vol. 152/153 Issue 26/1, p4
The article examines issues surrounding the European Union (EU) in late 2008. It is noted that in 2009 the rotating presidency of the organization will be assumed by VÃ¡clav Klaus of the Czech Republic who is said to be unenthusiastic about the EU. The article praises the predecessor to Klaus,...