Handle With Care
- Princeton Survey Says…. // Food Management;Oct2006, Vol. 41 Issue 11, p23
The article reports that "The Princeton Review," has released its ratings for the foodservice offered by the campus dining department at the 361 colleges listed in its "Best College," Guide. The periodical reviews a myriad of campus life categories ranging from academics and politics to a...
- STEAL THIS IDEA. King, Paul // FoodService Director;11/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 11, p12
The article explores some ideas for food service management. Gary Brautigam, director of dining services at Gettysburg College-Pennsylvania, claims that they keep a countertop refrigerator stocked with gluten-free items. Mary Lou Kennedy, director of dining services at Bowdoin College-Maine,...
- Getting Piggy With It. // FoodService Director;6/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p22
The article focuses on the initiative of Mary Lou Kennedy, director of Dining Services at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine, to send waste from two of her dining halls to a local pig farm when the college's composer broke. It offers information on how the college was able to save on labor with...
- Labor: Costs up 7.5% as fsds strive to retain staff. // FoodService Director;02/15/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p62
Looks at the performance of self-operating foodservice in colleges in the United States as of 1999. Labor costs; How colleges address the problem of labor shortage; Student employees employed by the University of Connecticut in Storrs; Incentive programs; Wage.
- IN COLLEGES: Campus execs. lead in tenure. // FoodService Director;12/15/2001, Vol. 14 Issue 12, p52
Deals with the economic prospects of the college food service segment in the U.S.. Compensation bracket of the segment; Dropout rates of its employees; Challenges facing college food service directors; Customer enhancements in college food service.
- Rocking Out. // FoodService Director;8/15/2008, Vol. 21 Issue 8, p32
The article profiles Richard Mancino, executive chef at Wagner College Staten Island, New York. As executive chef for Chartwells at Wagner College, he is currently working to develop a new four-week cycle menu for the upcoming school year. Mancino says he always liked to cook, and cooking is...
- Organic gardens seek certification. // FoodService Director;12/15/206, Vol. 19 Issue 12, p6
The article reports on the certification sought by the organic gardens at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine. Katherine Creswell, facilitator of the gardens, says Bowdoin has been working with the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association to meet all the requirements for official...
- Remarkable Service. Ramsey, Lindsey // FoodService Director;10/15/2009, Vol. 22 Issue 10, p26
The article features Jon Lewis, director of dining at Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana. He has improved food service at the university by implementing the Remarkable Service Program which recognizes outstanding employees and empowering them with new meal plans. Lewis increased...
- Making the grade: Colleges find ways to attract student workers. Blake, Kathy // Nation's Restaurant News;11/17/97, Vol. 31 Issue 46, p42
Focuses on the strategies of college food service operators in the United States in recruiting students to work for them. Reliance on surveys to identify what students are looking for in a part-time job; Holding of job fairs in campuses; Offer of salaries higher than the minimum wage.