Governor, Legislature Compromise to Pass FY2002 Budget
- Creating a viable spending plan for the 21st century. Kelly, Dave // San Diego Business Journal;07/19/99, Vol. 20 Issue 29, p43
Discusses California's 1999-2000 budget bill. Funding for programs; Relief for local governments; State's spending plan.
- NEW MEXICO: Panel Pushes Spending Hike. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;12/18/2007, Vol. 362 Issue 32776, p9
The article reports on the recommendation of a 6.4% increase for the fiscal 2009 budget in New Mexico by the Legislative Finance Committee. The proposal will serve as the basis of the Legislature's proposed budget when the state lawmakers meet on January 15, 2008. The committee's recommendation...
- The Procedures Of Federal Spending. // Congressional Digest;Dec72, Vol. 51 Issue 12, p290
Explains the procedures of federal spending in the U.S. as of 1972. Provision by Congress of a national budget system; Definition of the fiscal year of the federal government; Legislative authorizations; Appropriations process; Types of appropriations; Apportionment of obligational authority...
- How to balance the federal budget without touching Social Security. Merline, John // Human Events;12/23/94, Vol. 50 Issue 49, p1
Opinion. Criticizes the balanced-budget amendment, the first item in the Republican-devised `Contract With America.' Information about the budget; Scope of surplus yield in spite of increase in federal spending till 2002; Decision of the government to cut 14% from Social Security and defense...
- Surplus mania. Worsham, James // Nation's Business;Mar98, Vol. 86 Issue 3, p12
Discusses the United States' balanced budget and possible revenue surpluses. The opportunities faced by the nation and business communities; The fiscal 1999 budget that projects a $9.5 billion surplus; The emboldened supporters of tax cuts and proponents of new spending; The preference of Alan...
- The changing role of external audits. // OECD Economic Surveys: Turkey;Dec2004, Vol. 2004 Issue 15, p95
Offers a look at the 2004 public expenditure management system by Turkey's State Audit Institution. Function of the audit institution; Background of the traditional budget management system; Changes in the new auditing system.
- An lncontrovertible Truth About Budget Deficits. // Stonewall County Courier (Aspermont, TX);12/ 8/2011, Vol. 25 Issue 51, p2
The author discusses aspects of the proposed Honest Budget Act in the U.S., which aims to outlaw the commonly used tricks to hide unnecessary spending such as pet spending projects to emergency spending bills and budgetary shell games.
- GOP House passes big spending cuts. // Human Events;3/24/95, Vol. 51 Issue 11, p1
Reports on the GOP-controlled House passing $17.2 billion in spending cuts from the 1995 budget, after the Republicans battled it out with the Democrats. Details of arguments for and against the budget cuts; Impact of the budget slash.
- Massachusetts' Romney Offers $1.28B for Capital Budget. Whalen, Robert // Bond Buyer;7/19/2005, Vol. 353 Issue 32177, p4
Reports on the proposal of Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney for a $500 million supplemental spending bill to augment the commonwealth's capital needs. Funding of capital needs under the Republican governor's $1.28 billion bond-funded capital program for fiscal 2006; Aim of the bill to tap into...