More States Now Thinking Twice About Utility Deregulation
- Power Bill Coming Due? Langnau, Leslie // Material Handling Management;Nov2000, Vol. 55 Issue 12, p26
Focuses on the problems of the electric power industry in the United States. Effect of energy deregulation on electric utilities; Lack of improvement in energy production; Various solutions to the energy shortages.
- Arizona in good shape to meet power needs. Hull, Gov. Jane Dee // Inside Tucson Business;02/12/2001, Vol. 10 Issue 47, p5
Examines the ability of Arizona's electric utilities to meet the power needs of the state's citizens and businesses. Author's opposition to federal price controls; Projected decrease in electricity rates in Arizona; Use of a phased-in approach to deregulation.
- Consumers become proverbial footballs. // Las Vegas Business Press;07/09/2001, Vol. 18 Issue 28, p4
Editorial. Focuses on the crisis in the generation of electric power in Las Vegas, Nevada. Pact between power companies and regulators; Vision of the government in the case of power generation; Concern of utilities about keeping on the lights for customers.
- Nevada must respond to weather energy crisis. Higgins, Walter M. // Las Vegas Business Press;04/23/2001, Vol. 18 Issue 17, p5
Recommends ways by which the state of Nevada should respond to the energy crisis sweeping western United States in 2001. Debates on the impact of the failed electricity markets in California on Nevada's private power suppliers; Diversification of utility power plants; Sound financial planning...
- Section 7. Electricity. // Monthly Energy Review;Jul96, p93
Presents data on electricity generated by electric utilities in the United States in April 1996. Coal-fired generation; Hydroelectric generation; Natural-gas fired generation; Sales of electricity to residential and industrial consumers; Electricity utility consumption; Petroleum consumption.
- Electricity. // Monthly Energy Review;Feb99, p93
Reports on trends relating to electricity in the United States in January 1999. Electricity production; Electric utility net generation; Electric utility sales.
- The heat is on. // Crain's Cleveland Business;08/16/99, Vol. 20 Issue 33, p10
Comments on penalties that should be imposed on electric utilities if they fail to deliver goods to power marketers. Cinergy Corp.'s failure to honor its commitment to supply electricity to several power marketers; Inability to obtain power from other companies; Heat-related losses racked up by...
- Vital Signs: Electric Co-op Data. Ganley, Mike; Olivier, Dave // Management Quarterly;Fall2002, Vol. 43 Issue 3, p30
Discusses findings of an analysis of rural electric system trends in the U.S., as of August 2002. Increase in cooperative consumer growth; Growth of kilowatt per hour sales; Decline of cost of power for distribution cooperatives.
- Utilities working to unify Midwest's electric power grid. Eckert, Toby // Indianapolis Business Journal;08/05/96, Vol. 17 Issue 20, p9A
Reports on the preparation for an electricity superhighway by 22 Midwest utilities. Creation of a unified transmission grid; Creation of an independent system operator; Details of the system.
- State's Energy Loose Ends Coming to a Head. Fine, Howard // Orange County Business Journal;7/1/2002, Vol. 25 Issue 26, p3
Reports the dysfunctional electric power market in California. Information on the federal price caps of electric power in the state; Efforts of the state power regulators; Discussion on the deregulation of electric utilities.