Empirical Kanzi: The Ape Language Controversy Revisited
- Descartes's Language Test and Ape Language Research. Sankey, Howard // Teorema;2010, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p111
Some philosophers (e.g. Descartes) argue that there is an evidential relationship between language and thought, such that presence of language is indicative of mind. Recent language acquisition research with apes such as chimpanzees and bonobos attempts to demonstrate the capacity of these...
- OUR ADDICTION TO ATTRIBUTIVE ADJECTIVES. Holmes, Stewart W. // ETC: A Review of General Semantics;Fall98, Vol. 55 Issue 3, p299
No abstract available.
- The Evolution of Language. Miller, Jeanne // Odyssey;Oct2009, Vol. 18 Issue 8, p34
The article presents information regarding the evolution of human language.
- 'My Best Friend is a Chimp' Fouts, Roger // Psychology Today;Jul/Aug2000, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p69
Provides information on studies about the genetic makeup of chimpanzees. How Washoe, a chimpanzee, learned the American Sign Language; Information on the theory of the mind; Emotional traits of chimpanzees; Chimpanzees' sense of sympathy and empathy.
- Washoe - Child of the CWU Community Dies. // Behavior Analyst Today;Oct2007, Vol. 8 Issue 4, p536
The article presents an obituary for Washoe, the chimpanzee of the Central Washington University.
- The Human Ape? Premack, David // Sciences;Jan/Feb77, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p20
No abstract available.
- Species of Intelligence. // Sciences;Nov79, Vol. 19 Issue 9, p6
Examines the language and cognition among apes and human beings. Evolution of human language; Analogy on perception; transition between chilad and adult language.
- The MSIIA Experiment: Using Speech to Enhance Human Performance on a Cognitive Task. Damianos, Laurie; Loehr, Dan; Burke, Carl; Hansen, Steve; Viszmeg, Michael // International Journal of Speech Technology;Apr2003, Vol. 6 Issue 2, p133
We performed an exploratory study to examine the effects of speech-enabled input on a cognitive task involving analysis and annotation of objects in aerial reconnaissance videos. We added speech to an information fusion system to allow for hands-free annotation in order to examine the effect on...
- The mirror brain, concepts, and language: The price of anthropogenesis. T. Chernigovskaya // Neuroscience & Behavioral Physiology;Mar2007, Vol. 37 Issue 3, p293
Abstract??This article presents a review of cognitive evolution and the question of the origin of language and consciousness. Questions of the genetic history ofHomo sapiensare considered, along with basic concepts and their relationship to sensory experience. The questions of the location of...