Home away from Home
- INTO THE WOODS. // Scholastic Parent & Child;May/Jun2015, Vol. 22 Issue 7, p66
This article offers tips for families on how to plan for their first camping trip. The suggestions mentioned include picking the family's destination, such as car camping and full-service campgrounds, getting the kids involved in the camping trip, and resisting the urge to schedule every hour of...
- Back to nature with family. Berggren, Kris // National Catholic Reporter;11/14/2003, Vol. 40 Issue 4, p15
Features Camp du Nord, an outdoor recreation camp about a half-hour drive past Ely in Minnesota. Proximity of the camp to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, the nationally designated wilderness area; Administrators of the camp; Service and camping experience alternatives offered.
- Camping + Family = Fun. Stegmann, Eileen C. // New York State Conservationist;Aug99, Vol. 54 Issue 1, p21
Focuses on family camping at the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) campgrounds in New York. Facilities in the campgrounds; Conveniences provided by the DEC campgrounds; Outdoor recreational activities offered by the DEC campgrounds.
- DEC won't open some campgrounds this summer. // Adirondack Daily Enterprise;3/24/2010, Vol. 117 Issue 71, p2
The article announces that the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) will not open some campgrounds in the summer of 2010 in Albany, New York.
- Family Camping. Biddell, Ellen // New York State Conservationist;Jun2011, Vol. 65 Issue 6, p8
The article focuses on the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation's (DEC) campgrounds located in the Adirondack and Catskill Forest Preserves. Options available to families at the campgrounds are described, including swimming beaches, hiking and nature trails, canoe trips, and...
- Summer CAMP. Cinis, Liz // Australian Geographic;Oct-Dec2008, Issue 92, p80
The article offers information about the camping activities in Australia. It states that Australia is a country of campers. According to a student from the University of Melbourne Bill Garner, camping is essential to the Australian experience since it links people to the earth and the sky, the...
- 50 All-Star Family Camps. Throop, Grechen Perry // Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel (Newsweek LLC);Mar2005, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p96
Presents information on summer family camps in the U.S. Berkeley Tuolumne Family Camp in Stanislaus National Forest, California; Cheley Colorado Camps in Estes Park; Ferry Beach Camp and Conference Center in Saco, Maine; YMCA Camp Hi-Rock in Mount Washington, Massachusetts; YMCA Camp Pendalouan...
- event guide. // Street Machine;Jan2007, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p112
The article highlights the event schedules of the Summernats race. Friday would be a time for families. Entry is cheaper compared to a Saturday schedule wherein there will be extra activities including games, rides, face-painting and free ice-blocks from the Paddle Pop Lion. There is also a...
- Camping Makes Dollar$ and Sense. Bernhard, Douglas; Tompkins, Jessica // New York State Conservationist;Jun2011, Vol. 65 Issue 6, p11
The article discusses the economic benefits of camping in the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation's (DEC) public campgrounds for both vacationers and local business owners. Figures show that more than 1.6 million visitors go to the campgrounds located in the Adirondack and...