Migration and Life Satisfaction: Evidence from Latin America
- Hungary ranked 4th "Most Loving" country in Gallup survey. // Hungary A.M.;2/19/2014, p6
The article focuses on the results of the Gallup Organization international poll which show that Hungary has ranked fourth as the most loving country among 138 nations in Europe during the Valentine's Day season.
- WAPOR NEWS. // International Journal of Public Opinion Research;Spring2009, Vol. 21 Issue 1, p135
This article notes news relating to the World Association for Public Opinion Research. The appointment of Tom W. Smith as the Vice-President/President Elect of WAPOR is noted. The conference Public Opinion, Democracy and Conflict in Latin America in Lima Peru from April 22-24, 2009 and the WAPOR...
- Uphill, downhill. Schatzer, Peter // UN Chronicle;1998, Vol. 35 Issue 2, p78
Discusses the effects of migration to the political, economic and cultural evolution of societies. Internal migration; Inter-state movements from developing states to developed countries; Brain drain; Call for the development of programs that will encourage potential migrants to stay at home...
- What's driving migration? Kane, Hal // World Watch;Jan/Feb95, Vol. 8 Issue 1, p23
Discusses global migration trends in the world. History of human movement around the world; Reasons for migration; Displacement of races; Social reasons for migration.
- The end of immigration. Howell, Llewellyn D. // USA Today Magazine;Sep95, Vol. 124 Issue 2604, p31
Discusses factors contributory to the abatement of immigration. Impact of foreigner jealousy and hatred; Isolationist sentiments of Republican candidates to the American presidency; Hardening of national boundaries; Demise of socialist and communist ideology.
- Of gifts and gaffes. Tian, Jia // UNESCO Courier;Feb94, Vol. 47 Issue 2, p38
Considers the difficulties for people who have emigrated to a new country in learning the different cultural values and customs, as well as learning to speak the language. Examples of the ritual phrases of greeting, a salient feature of most languages; Assimilation of Asian immigrants to...
- Politics no solution to complex immigration issue. Larrabee, Peter // San Diego Business Journal;9/20/93, Vol. 14 Issue 38, p11
Opinion. Points out that politics cannot be the solution to immigration issues. Proposed constitutional amendment to deny citizenship to the children of illegal aliens; Concept of state and local enforcement of sanctions against employers who hire illegal aliens; Driver's licenses; Educational...
- Grandfathers. Clausen, Christopher // Commentary;Apr93, Vol. 95 Issue 4, p42
Presents the author's observations on his grandfathers. Grandfather Adam's family's arrival from Prussia; Urging grandfather to write down his memories; Hard life in New York; Story about how grandfather learned to swim; Being recruited to fight against the Philippine insurrection; Other...
- Government v. country. Abernethy, Virginia // Population & Environment;Sep93, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p3
Discusses a country's immigration policy as a case of diverging interests between government and citizens. Disenfranchising poor sectors; Civil or criminal unrest; Examples; Art of leadership; Control of immigration.