Oral vitamin K did not reduce bleeding in patients with excessive anticoagulation after receiving warfarin
- Oral Vitamin K Versus Placebo to Correct Excessive Anticoagulation in Patients Receiving Warfarin. Crowther, Mark A.; Ageno, Walter; Garcia, David; Luqi Wang; Witt, Dan M.; Clark, Nathan P.; Blostein, Mark D.; Kahn, Susan R.; Vesely, Sara K.; Schulman, Sam; Kovacs, Michael J.; Rodger, Marc A.; Wells, Phillip; Anderson, David; Ginsberg, Jeffery; Selby, Rita; Siragusa, Sergio; Silingardi, Mauro; Dowd, Mary Beth; Kearon, Clive // Annals of Internal Medicine;3/3/2009, Vol. 150 Issue 5, p293
Background: Low-dose oral vitamin K decreases the international normalized ratio (INR) in overanticoagulated patients who receive warfarin therapy. Its effects on bleeding events are uncertain. Objective: To see whether low-dose oral vitamin K reduces bleeding events over 90 days in patients...
- Warfarin Overdose: A 25-Year Experience. Levine, Michael; Pizon, Anthony; Padilla-Jones, Angela; Ruha, Anne-Michelle // Journal of Medical Toxicology;Jun2014, Vol. 10 Issue 2, p156
Warfarin, a vitamin K antagonist, is widely used for the prophylaxis and treatment of thromboembolic disease. While guidelines exist for management of a supratherapeutic international normalized ratio following therapeutic warfarin use, these guidelines are not designed for management of the...
- Oral vitamin K reversed warfarin-associated coagulopathy faster than subcutaneous vitamin K. Laupacis, Andreas // ACP Journal Club;Jan/Feb2003, Vol. 138 Issue 1, p10
Focuses on a study that examined the role of oral vitamin K in the reversal of warfarin-associated coagulopathy faster than subcutaneous vitamin K. Description of the clinical characteristics of patients; Patient intervention; Outcome measures.
- Oral Vitamin K Lowers the International Normalized Ratio More Rapidly Than Subcutaneous Vitamin K in the Treatment of Warfarin-Associated Coagulopathy Randomized, Controlled Trial. Crowther, Mark A.; Douketis, James D.; Schnurr, Terri; Steidl, Luigi; Mera, Valentina; Ultori, Carolina; Venco, Achille; Ageno, Walter // Annals of Internal Medicine;8/20/2002, Vol. 137 Issue 4, p251
Presents a study regarding the use of oral vitamin K. Focuses on whether oral vitamin K is more effective than subcutaneous vitamin K in the treatment of warfarin-associated coagulopathy; Summaries the results of randomized controlled trial of 26 patients.
- Vitamin K Reverses Overanticoagulation with Warfarin More Quickly When Given by Mouth Than by Injection. // Annals of Internal Medicine;8/20/2002, Vol. 137 Issue 4, pI-39
Presents a summary of the study on the effectiveness of Vitamin K in the treatment of warfarin-associated coagulopathy. Objective of the research; Findings of the researchers; Limitations and implications of the study.
- 6 versus 30 months anticoagulation for recurrent venous thrombosis in patients with high factor VIII. Eischer, L.; Gartner, V.; Schulman, S.; Kyrle, P. A.; Eichinger, S. // Annals of Hematology;May2009, Vol. 88 Issue 5, p485
Patients with first venous thromboembolism (VTE) and high factor VIII (FVIII) are at increased risk of recurrence. It is unknown whether these patients benefit from prolonged secondary thrombophrophylaxis. In a prospective trial patients with first spontaneous VTE and FVIII levels >230 IU/dl...
- A Pilot Study to Assess the Feasibility of a Multicenter Cluster Randomized Trial for the Management of Asymptomatic Persons with a Thrombophilia. Wells, Philip S.; Louzada, Martha L.; Taljaard, Monica; Anderson, David R.; Kahn, Susan R.; Langlois, Nicole J.; Rutberg, Julie; Kovacs, Michael J.; Rodger, Marc A. // Journal of Genetic Counseling;Oct2009, Vol. 18 Issue 5, p475
There is controversy whether asymptomatic first-degree relatives (FDRs) of patients with venous thromboembolism (VTE) and thrombophilia should be screened, followed, and prescribed prophylaxis during risk periods. We recruited consecutive probands with idiopathic VTE and thrombophilia from our...
- Comparing effectiveness of two anticoagulation management models in a Malaysian tertiary hospital. Thanimalai, Subramaniam; Shafie, Asrul; Hassali, Mohamed; Sinnadurai, Jeyaindran // International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy;Oct2013, Vol. 35 Issue 5, p736
Backgrounds Limited evidence is available regarding pharmacist managed anticoagulation clinic in the Southeast Asian region where there is marked difference in terms of care model, genetic composition and patient demographics. Objectives This study aimed at comparing the anticoagulation clinic...
- VITAMIN K & WARFARIN. Barclay, Laurie // Life Extension;Jun2007, Vol. 13 Issue 6, p58
The article discusses the health benefits given by vitamin K, a fat soluble vitamin that helps the proper regulation of blood clotting and optimal bone and cardiovascular health. Vitamin K facilitates the control of anticoagulation therapy in patients on long-term treatment with the...