'Virtual building sites' at new training centre
- Dynamics of workforce skill evolution in construction projects. Alvanchi, Amin; Lee, SangHyun; AbouRizk, Simaan M. // Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering;Sep2012, Vol. 39 Issue 9, p1005
Construction projects are usually labour intensive, and human resource (HR) issues contribute significantly to a project's final costs. From this perspective, a tool that can help construction managers reduce their HR costs can potentially generate improvement in the project cost. In this paper...
- Center helps poor find jobs, homes. Watt, Katherine // Inside Tucson Business;03/05/2001, Vol. 10 Issue 50, p1
Reports on the dedication made of the Primavera Builders Training Center with the help of corporate and individual donors in Tuscon, Arizona. Location of the building in land donated by the DeConcini family; Number of people who were trained under the builders' training program since 1993;...
- Dump command-and-control. Nielsen, Duke // ENR: Engineering News-Record;03/23/98, Vol. 240 Issue 12, p123
Opinion. Focuses on recruitment and training of employees within the construction industry in the United States. Problems faced within the industry; Indication of public-relations efforts to improve image of the industry; Recommendations suggested.
- Trade takes to the road to train. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;12/09/96, Vol. 237 Issue 24, p10
Describes the International Masonry Institute's strategy in promoting union masonry work. Launching of mobile training centers; Construction site environment created by the institute; Description of the training program.
- Address recruitment now. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;02/17/97, Vol. 238 Issue 7, p74
Editorial. Urges the construction industry in the United States to address training of workers in a unified and concerted way. Commiseration of contractors on lack of skilled workers; Profile of average construction worker; Failure in recruitment and training.
- 'Careers In Construction' to be spotlighted at 2002 show. // Pit & Quarry;Feb2002, Vol. 94 Issue 9, p34
Reports on the professional development and skill training programs for employees in the construction and building materials industries which will be offered at the ConExpo-Con/Agg and IFPE congresses which will be held in March 19-23, 2002 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Details of various workforce...
- Big owners are about to ban contractors that don't train. Krizan, William G. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;10/06/97, Vol. 239 Issue 14, p13
Reports on the Business Roundtable's release of a document urging industrial company owners to make training of construction craft workers mandatory in order for contractors to be prequalified for the projects. Importance of training to the level of jobsite safety; Requirement for contractors...
- Women in hard hats. Auster, Bruce B. // U.S. News & World Report;2/13/95, Vol. 118 Issue 6, p39
Examines how the YWCA in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is trying to usher women into a traditional male bastion--the high-skilled, high-paying, building trades. How the YWCA is finding and training such women; Deal with Payne & Dolan Inc., an asphalt contractor, to provide women and minority workers...
- Builders face levy rise. // People Management;07/24/97, Vol. 3 Issue 15, p9
Reports on Great Britain-based Construction Industry Training Board's plan to consult employers over plans to raise higher training levy in 1998.