NEWS IN BRIEF
- Unions should be doing more, says Prosser. // People Management;6/15/2006, Vol. 12 Issue 12, p13
This article reports on the decision of Baroness Margaret Prosser, chairwoman of the Women and Work Commission to urge trade unions to get more involved in diversity issues. According to Prosser, the trade union movement in Great Britain had focused too much on workplace terms and conditions and...
- Trade unions are more involved with diversity campaigns, but they still hold a collectivist outlook. Greene, Anne-Marie // People Management;5/2/2002, Vol. 8 Issue 9, p50
Focuses on the role of trade-unions in managing diversity in the workplace. Problems associated with diversity management. INSET: Introducing diversity.
- Mixed and matched. Simms, Jane // People Management;5/7/2009, Vol. 15 Issue 10, p16
The article highlights the importance of promoting workforce diversity even during an economic recession. Carolanne Minashi of banking group Citi claims diversity offers a greater sense of involvement and engagement, a mirror of the diverse groups of customers and clients, and a more robust...
- La negociaciï¿½n colectiva en Francia. Urteaga, Eguzki // Revista de Fomento Social;ene-mar2010, Vol. 65 Issue 257, p87
The analysis of collective bargaining in France suggests the existence of an independent model that combines several characteristics: the plurality of participants, multiple levels, no a priori determination of the objects of negotiation, the fundamental role of the State in ensuring,...
- Legislation is driving diversity. // Personnel Today;7/4/2006, p3
The article cites a study about diversity in the workplace conducted by the organization Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development. The study reveals that main reason for improvements in workplace diversity levels is legislation. Only 32% of the respondents in the study considered the...
- Finding common ground for all ages. Niemiec, Susan // SDM: Security Distributing & Marketing;Feb2000, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p81
Offers personnel management tips for employers with age-diversified workforce. Factors that created age diversity in the workplace; Differences in generations' work ethics, values and skills; Communication-related problems.
- 10 Lenses. Williams, Mark // Executive Excellence;Mar2002, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p10
Advises executives on to organize their employees' work in relation to cultural differences. Adoption of the lifestyles, values, customs and languages of the majority; Need for racial and ethnic groups to detach from the dominant culture to survive, rebuild or maintain their traditions.
- The harsh reality of diversity programs. Flynn, Gillian // Workforce;Dec98, Vol. 77 Issue 12, p26
Reveals the pitfalls of diversity programs of corporations in the United States. Comments from industry officials; Complaints from minorities and women employees; Things that human resource (HR) personnel need to do.
- Working with a diverse workforce. Yager, Ed // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;02/07/2000, Vol. 29 Issue 33, p14
Discusses the advantages of workforce diversity in personnel management of business enterprises. Relation of the author's experience of dining out in a restaurant with a diverse workforce; Presence of the principles of good leadership within a diverse workforce; Inevitable conflicts between...