Unions make job cuts as membership squeezed
- Students Protest Proposed $14M in Cuts, 78 Layoffs. Wiedemann, Liz // San Diego Business Journal;4/28/2008, Vol. 29 Issue 17, p13
The article reports on the protests of two dozen students on the $14 million budget cuts and layoffs facing the Escondido Union School District on April 9 at the Mission Middle School campus in Escondido, California. The author stated 78 teachers and counselors in the district may be laid off....
- Extra Cash to Avoid Layoffs. // District Administration;Mar2004, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p18
Announces the multimillion-dollar money awarded to a school district in Washington, D.C. to avoid laying off school-based staff during the middle of the year and a budget deficit.
- Budget axe falls in Los Angeles; chancery staff faces drastic cuts. Jones, Arthur // National Catholic Reporter;9/27/2002, Vol. 38 Issue 41, p17
Reports on the budget shortfall in Los Angeles which has led to the dismissal of archdiocesan employees, as of September 2002. Absence of Cardinal Roger Mahony at the meeting for announcement of employee dismissal; Need to give parishes the incentive to take on ministries.
- CONNECTICUT: State Eyes 6,560 Job Cuts. Burton, Paul // Bond Buyer;7/18/2011, Vol. 377 Issue 33550, p9
The article reports on the plans of Connecticut to eliminate 6,560 government positions to balance its 40.5 billion dollars budget for two years and fill the budget gap of 1.6 billion dollars.
- Elimination Game. POPKE, MICHAEL // Athletic Business;Apr2009, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p83
The article explores the threat of unemployment facing athletic directors in the U.S. Due to a budget deficit, the Eau Claire Area School District in Wisconsin has decided to eliminate the dean of athletics position in Eau Claire North High School and at Eau Claire Memorial school. It relates...
- BUDGET CUTS. // Fire Engineering;Apr2005, Vol. 158 Issue 4, p48
This article focuses on budget crisis of Midwest countries. In Ohio, Cleveland and Daylon have had major cuts in staffing because of layoffs. Other parts of the country are struggling as well. Toledo have been in a budget crisis for several years now. In 2004, it experienced $4 million deficit....
- Dance Theatre may bow out in fiscal crisis. Souccar, Miriam Kreinin // Crain's New York Business;4/19/2004, Vol. 20 Issue 16, p3
The article reports that the Dance Theatre of Harlem is receiving raves on a tour across Europe. But when the world-renowned dance troupe comes home at the end of May, it may have completed its last pas de deux. The 35-year-old company has been forced to cut its budget in half to around $5...
- Some Dallas Teachers Rehired. // Education Week;11/5/2008, Vol. 28 Issue 11, p5
The article discusses the rehiring of teachers at a Dallas, Texas, school. The article mentions that hundreds of teachers were laid off in order to avoid a budget deficit. The article mentions that district rehired 57 of the 375 teachers that were laid off. The article mentions that 460 teachers...
- Union to pols: Fix the economy, stupid! Allen, Zita // New York Amsterdam News;2/13/2003, Vol. 94 Issue 7, p4
Reports on concerns of New York's labor leaders about the state and city budget deficits and measures to be taken by government officials to balance the budget. Refusal of mayor Michael R. Bloomberg to increase wages of workers; Rallies to be organized by labor unions in protest against mayor's...