Senescent Expression of Genes Coding Tropoelastin, Elastase, Lysyl Oxidase, and Tissue Inhibitors of Metalloproteinases in Rat Vocal Folds: Comparison With Skin and Lungs
- AGE-RELATED CHANGES OF COLLAGENOUS FIBERS IN THE HUMAN VOCAL FOLD MUCOSA. Sato, Kiminori; Hirano, Minoru; Nakashima, Tadashi // Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology;Jan2002, Vol. 111 Issue 1, p15
Investigates age-related changes of collagenous fibers in the human vocal fold mucosa through the aid of light and electron microscope. Formation of collagenous fiber bundles; Irregularity of the collagenous fibers; Space between collagenous fibers and the interstitial area decreases.
- HISTOLOGIC CHANGES IN HUMAN VOCAL FOLDS CORRELATED WITH AGING: A HISTOMORPHOMETRIC STUDY. Ximenes Filho, João Aragão; Saldiva do Nascimento, Paulo Hilário; Tsuji, Domingos Hiroshi; Sennes, Luiz Ubirajara // Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology;Oct2003, Vol. 112 Issue 10, p894
The voice of aged persons is usually different from that of younger adults â€” a fact indicating that aging induces changes in the human larynx. The aim of this study was to perform a histomorphometric analysis of the vocal fold and of a fragment of skin in order to determine the...
- Enzyme levels may be responsible. // USA Today Magazine;Oct96, Vol. 125 Issue 2617, p13
Reports that scientists are targeting a family of enzymes for new drug development in the fight against rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and other serious diseases. Research to develop enzyme inhibitors to control the production of matrix metalloproteinases (MMP);Comments from Henning...
- The architecture of cancer. Waxman, Jonathan; Wasan, Harpreet // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);11/28/92, Vol. 305 Issue 6865, p1306
Examines the role of tissue metalloproteinases in the development of tumors in Great Britain. Regulation of extracellular matrix; Interaction between metalloproteinase genes and oncogenes; Implications in tissue invasion and metastasis.
- Mechanism of inhibition of the human matrix metalloproteinase stromelysin-1 by TIMP-1. Gomis-Ruth, Franz-Xaver; Maskos, Klaus // Nature;9/4/1997, Vol. 389 Issue 6646, p77
Reports on experiments which show a complex formed between the crystal structure of an matrix metalloproteinase-tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases (MMP-TIMP) between the catalytic domain of human stromelysin-1 (MMP-3) and human TIMP-1. Methods used in the experiment; Details of results.
- Senescent Expression of Genes Coding Collagens, Collagen-Degrading Metalloproteinases, and Tissue Inhibitors of Metalloproteinases in Rat Vocal Folds: Comparison With Skin and Lungs. Hu Ding; Gray, Steven D. // Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences & Medical ;Apr2001, Vol. 56 Issue 4, pB145
Determines the collagen subtypes expressed in rat vocal folds and quantifies senescent gene expression for collagens and collagen-degradation-related major proteinases in rat vocal folds. Reverse-transcription of total RNA to the first strand of complementary DNA (cDNA); Amplification of cDNA...
- NEUROMUSCULAR CHANGES IN AGED RAT THYROIDARYTENOID MUSCLE. Suzuki, Tatsutoshi; Sewall, Gregory K.; Lee, Kyungag; Heisey, Dennis M. // Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology;Jul2002, Vol. 111 Issue 7, p579
Quantifies the anatomic manifestations of aging at the neuromuscular junction (NMJ) in young and old rat thyroarytenoid (TA) muscle. Distribution of axons, nerve terminals and receptor clusters; Identification of occurrences of presynaptic and postsynaptic modifications; Increase of terminal...
- EFFECTS OF AGE, SEX, AND DISORDER ON VOICE RANGE PROFILE CHARACTERISTICS OF 230 CHILDREN. Wuyts, Floris L.; Heylen, Louis; Rooman, Raoul; Mertens, Fons; Van de Heyning, Paul H.; Du Caju, Marc; De Bodt, Marc // Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology;Jun2003, Vol. 112 Issue 6, p540
In this study, the effect of age, sex, and disorder on the vocal performance of 230 children 6 to 11 years of age was investigated by means of the voice range profile (VRP). Ninety-four control children and 136 children with disorders were studied. The VRPs were quantitatively described by...
- The presence of elafin, SLPI, IL1-RA and STNFa RI in head and neck squamous cell carcinomas and their relation to the degree of tumour differentiation. Westin, U.; Nystr�m, M.; Ljungcrantz, I.; Eriksson, B.; Ohlsson, K. // Mediators of Inflammation;Feb2002, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p7
Biopsy samples of head and neck carcinomas were investigated with regard to elafin, secretory leukocyte protease inhibitor (SLPI), interleukin 1-receptor antagonist [(IL)1-RA] and soluble tumour necrosis factor a receptor antagonist (STNFa RI). SLPI and elafin are serine protease inhibitors...