Chicago Deal for Bigger Convention Center Hinges on Taxes
- MetPier Falling Short. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;7/8/2008, Vol. 365 Issue 32914, p1
The article reports on the tax revenue deficit in Chicago, Illinois in 2008 as noted by the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority (MPEA). MPEA officials estimate the shortage in tourism-related tax collections at $6.5 million, which relect the need to tap the state sales tax backup to cover...
- Chicago authority begins hotel project. Henson, Bill // Plastics News;2/2/1998, Vol. 9 Issue 49, p13
States that a 32-story hotel will be built by Metropolitan Pier and Expostion Authority, Chicago, Illinois at McCormick Place, known as the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place. Details on the cost of the hotel; Information on the features of the facility; Details on the date the hotel schedule to be...
- Unexpectedly on the move. Murphy, H. Lee // Crain's Chicago Business;1/23/95, Vol. 18 Issue 4, pSR1
Reports on the delay in the completion of the Festival Hall at Navy Pier, Chicago, causing the postponement of the first trade show scheduled in the exposition hall and the change of venue for other scheduled shows. Economic costs of the delay and cancellation to the show organizers; Praises...
- Chicago Agency Picks Team for $800M Convention Center Deal. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;4/18/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31368, p36
Reports the selection of various underwriters to manage the revenue of the Chicago Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority in Illinois. Expansion of the McCormick Place convention center; Inclusion of Salomon Smith Barney in the selection; Indictment of chief executive officer, Scott Fawell.
- Chicago Issuer's CEO Indicted, Takes Leave. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;4/4/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31538, p5
Reports on the leave of absence of chief executive officer Scott Fawell of the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority in Chicago, Illinois. Federal indictment against Fawell; Charges for Fawell with racketeering and theft of government funds; conspiracy to obstruct justice.
- Going public. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;3/20/95, Vol. 234 Issue 11, p20
Reports that Chicago, Illinois' Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority has decided to use public financing to build the replacement hotel planned for its expanding McCormick Place convention center.
- Are Bears the best use for convention taxes? // Crain's Chicago Business;9/23/96, Vol. 19 Issue 39, p12
Editorial. Questions whether the funds collected by the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority (MPEA) should be used to build a retractable roof on the Soldier Field Stadium in Chicago, Illinois. Efforts of Governor Jim Edgar, Mayor Richard Daley and Chicago Bears football team's president...
- Meet Gov. Ryan's man at McCormick Place. Borden, Jeff // Crain's Chicago Business;01/25/99, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p4
Profiles Scott Fawell, chief executive officer of the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority in Chicago, Illinois. Responsibilities; Political contacts and organizational skills; Link to Governor George Ryan.
- Illinois agency ready to put finishing touches on pier deal. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;08/19/99, Vol. 329 Issue 30708, p4
Reports on the Chicago, Illinois, Metropolitan & Exposition Authority's plans to issue a $425 million worth of bonds in August 1999. Speculations on the level and type of interest in the deal; Deal structure; Plans of the authority in using the deal to finance the Navy Pier and the McCormick...