FOR MEAL PAYMENT: Penn Valley Schools test fingerprint scan
- High-Tech Help for: School lunch management. Grossbauer, Sue // FoodService Director;01/15/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p133
Describes the automated payment system at the cafeteria of Pueblo District 60 in Colorado. Details on how the enrollment of students in the systems are done; How the system works; Benefits of the process.
- FINGERPRINTS: THE NEW STUDENT I.D. // Scholastic Scope;4/30/2001, Vol. 49 Issue 17, p5
Argues on the legitimacy of using student fingerprints in school libraries and cafeterias in the United states. Opposition of the idea by the American Civil Liberties Union; Participation of willing students to the systems; Existence of the right to privacy law on fingerprints.
- Fingerprint Fallout. Gove, Carly; Grillo, Christina // Weekly Reader News - Senior;3/7/2008, Vol. 86 Issue 21, p3
The article debates whether or not the fingerprinting system utilized by school cafeterias in Pennsylvania, Iowa and other states in the U.S. is necessary. It describes how the system works. Carly Gove of New Jersey suggests that the system allows the buying of lunch much easier for school...
- Schools introduce fingerprint recognition into canteens. // Caterer & Hotelkeeper;6/29/2006, Vol. 196 Issue 4431, p8
The article focuses on the use of fingerprint recognition to monitor students' food choices at school canteens in Great Britain. The technology was first used by the Humphrey Perkins High School in Leicestershire, England. The Derbyshire County Council plans to launch the fingerprinting system...
- Lancashire pilots meal choice for over-fives. // Caterer & Hotelkeeper;12/4/2003, Vol. 192 Issue 4302, p16
Reports on a cashless payment system that will be installed by Lancashire County Council at Lostock Hall Community Primary School in Preston, England, to provide students their meal choice before the start of a school day. Benefits of the payment system; Estimated cost of installing the...
- Students Scan Fingers In School Lunch Line To Pay for Their Food. Ash, Katie // Education Week;11/9/2011, Vol. 31 Issue 11, p12
The article discusses the implementation of biometric finger scanners in school lunchrooms in an effort to increase accuracy in charging and identifying students. It looks at the systems in Cabell County, West Virginia, and in Akron, Ohio, including how parents were notified of the systems, the...
- Finger Food. // Weekly Reader News - Senior;10/20/2006, Vol. 85 Issue 7, p7
The article presents information on the finger scan system developed by the Rome City School District. The technology allows students to pay for cafeteria food with a touch of a finger instead of swiping their student identification cards. The system stores student's fingerprint information on a...
- MAILBAG. // Weekly Reader News - Senior;4/25/2008, Vol. 86 Issue 26, p2
The article presents the views of several students in the U.S. on the fingerprint system to be used in buying their lunch at their respective school cafeterias. Most of the students agree on this, thinking it would be more convenient, while others disagreed, thinking it would not be useful. One...
- Thumbs up for online school meals payments. Garner, James // Caterer & Hotelkeeper;4/15/2004, Vol. 193 Issue 4319, p6
Reports on the success of the trial of the online school meals payment by parents at nursery and primary school in Surrey, England. Number of schools that participated in the trials; Access to the online school payment system; Percentage of meals paid for online achieved by the schools.