'Bang' : Guns, rap, and silence
- Let's Take a Stand Against Guns. Weathers, Diane // Essence (Time Inc.);
Argues against the culture of gun violence in the U.S. Criticisms against the organizers of the Million Mom March to Halt the Assault campaign on May 9, 2004 in Washington, D.C.; Reaction of men against the campaign; Increase in suicide rates among African American youths.
- STOP KILLING OUR DREAMS. HENDERSON, SHIRLEY // Ebony;Aug2010, Vol. 65 Issue 10, p78
The article, the first of a three-part series on youth violence, focuses on the hundreds of young people who were murdered in Chicago, Illinois in 2009. The case of Derrion Albert, a 16-teen-year-old honors student who was beaten to death, is cited as one example. Efforts to ban firearms are...
- HOT RAP TRACKS. // Billboard;12/28/2002, Vol. 114 Issue 52/1, p31
Presents a list of popular rap songs included in the Billboard charts in 2002.
- HOT RAP TRACKS. // Billboard;7/20/2002, Vol. 114 Issue 29, p21
Presents a list of the top rap music recordings in the U.S. as of July 2002.
- Sen. Perkins calls for Fed task force to end gun violence. Perkins, Bill // New York Amsterdam News;8/20/2009, Vol. 100 Issue 34, p13
In this article, the author discusses the prevalent concern for urban communities in the United States which is the gun violence among the youth. He shares his actions and possible solutions to the problem which he presented to U.S. President Barack Obama particularly the formation of the...
- Is rap music? If it quacks like a duck... Wynn, Ron // New Crisis (15591603);Jan/Feb2001, Vol. 108 Issue 1, p47
Focuses on rap music. Theory on the origin of rap; Approach of rappers to language and music; Methods used in rap production; Difference between rappers and blues singers.
- My Hip-Hop Homework Helper. Crum, Dana // Writing;Feb/Mar2006, Vol. 28 Issue 5, p12
The article discusses the author's experiences while preparing a research paper on hip-hop and presents steps for writing a research paper. The author researched the hip-hop songs as well as secondary sources like music reviews and articles in magazines for his paper. However after two weeks and...
- The Prince Paul Plan. Brown, Ethan // New York;11/15/2004, Vol. 37 Issue 40, p120
Profiles Prince Paul, the production expert behind artists such as De La Soul, Queen Latifah, and Big Daddy Kane in the U.S. hip-hop music scene. Discussion of how he gets into the music scene; Strength of including short, theatrical skits on hip-hop records; Plan of releasing his last album.
- The power of our words. Williams, Armstrong // New York Amsterdam News;11/30/2006, Vol. 97 Issue 49, p13
In this article, the author discusses the power of words to influence people. The author specifically refers to the negative influence of Hip Hop on teenagers. Millions of children listen to these negative lyrics everyday and they are weakened by these words that destroy their sense of self...