Kansas Puts Study Of Evolution Back In Science In Its Public Schools
- Evolution. // New York Times Upfront;10/04/99, Vol. 132 Issue 3, p32
Presents conflicting opinions about teaching evolution in schools. Role of science in the censorship of lessons; Requirement to provide proof on evolution; Advantage of exposing students to the basic organizing principle of modern biology.
- States Weigh Evolution And Intelligent Design. // Educational Marketer;10/21/2002, Vol. 33 Issue 30, p4
Reports on the debate about whether schools in Georgia and Ohio should teach only evolution as the explanation for the origin of life.
- Residents Rally To Defend Science Classes In Montana Town. // Church & State;Apr2004, Vol. 57 Issue 4, p19
Reports on Darby, Montana residents' formation of an organization to defend the teaching of evolution. Darby School Board's approval of a proposal to revise school policies to require teachers to assess evidence for and against the theory of evolution; Other news about creationism and evolution...
- Kansas Primary Seen as Signaling Shift in Evolution Stance. Blair, Julie // Education Week;09/06/2000, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p36
Reports the possibility of a change in science standards of the education board as seen in the primary in Kansas. Opposition to the teaching of evolution and the scientific version of the origin of the earth; Stance of the Republicans and Democrats on the issue; Clamor of the people of Kansas...
- Mississippi:. // Reports of the National Center for Science Education;Jan-Apr2010, Vol. 30 Issue 1/2, p8
The article offers information on House Bill 586 in Mississippi that was introduced on January 12, 2010, sponsored by Gary Chism and which if enacted will require the inclusion of a lesson on human evolution in high school biology classes.
- More Monkey Business. Mann, Dave // Texas Observer: A Journal of Free Voices;2/6/2009, Vol. 101 Issue 2, p4
The article offers information on the issues surrounding the teaching of evolution in schools in Texas. It states that in early January 2009, social conservatives on the State Board of Education forwarded their crusade against the teaching of this subject in Texas schools. It also underscores...
- THE SCOPES MONKEY TRIAL. // Born-Again Believers: Evangelicals & Charismatics;2005, p23
The article focuses on issues related to the antievolution law which was passed by the state of Tennessee in 1925. The state passed the law to prohibit the teaching of evolution in schools. In response, the American Civil Liberties Union made an offer to help anyone who was willing to challenge...
- Kansas' rejection of evolution creates scientific controversy. Shaw, Donna // Curriculum Administrator;Nov99 Part I of II, Vol. 35 Issue 11, p7
Focuses on Kansas Board of Education's adoption of a science curriculum that rejects evolution as a scientific principle. Noninclusion of the topic in the state assessment tests; Response of the National Science Teachers Association to the move of the board; Political nature of the decision.
- Evolution Returns to Kansas Curriculum. // Curriculum Administrator;Apr2001, Vol. 37 Issue 4, p13
Reports the decision of Kansas Board of Education to re-teach evolution curriculum to students. Criticism received for abandoning popular scientific thought; Reactions to the decision; Election of members of the board aiming to restore scientific ideas to science standards.