Moorn (Black)? Djardak (White)? How come I don't fit in Mum?: Exploring the racial identity of Australian Aboriginal children and youth
- Foreword. Gosnell-Myers, Ginger // First Peoples Child & Family Review;2009, Vol. 4 Issue 1, p4
The article discusses various reports published within the issue about how to enhance the well being of children and the future for Aboriginal children.
- NATIVE NEWS EXCHANGE. // Eastern Door;7/23/2010, Vol. 19 Issue 28, p3
The article reports that child welfare agencies are looking for kids in Manitoba First Nations who will get 177 million dollars in new federal funding in the next five years, to help keep Aboriginal kids from being taken away from their parents.
- Complicating Culture in Child Placement Decisions. Bunting, Annie // Canadian Journal of Women & the Law;2004, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p137
The National Judicial Institute recently asked if I would be interested in developing a workshop on Aboriginal child welfare issues for Alberta judges. I was initially reluctant as my research on multicultural issues in family law focuses on child custody rather than child welfare and on...
- Latest foster care death clear indication change needed. NARINE, SHARI // Alberta Sweetgrass;Jun2010, Vol. 17 Issue 7, p1
The article reports that advocates for change in foster care in Alberta have said that Aboriginal children in government care will continue to suffer until the child welfare system changes in Alberta. The death of a 13- year-old Paul First Nation boy on April 30, 2010 in a home in rural Spruce...
- The struggle continues, for the kids. Staniforth, Jesse // Nation (1206-2642);10/19/2012, Vol. 19 Issue 25, p24
An interview with the First Nations and Family Caring Society (FNCFCS) Cindy Blackstock is presented. Blackstock comments on the effort of the government of Canada to prevent the FNCFCS and the Assembly of First Nations (AFN) to raise the issue of Aboriginal child welfare underfunding before the...
- Child welfare system replaced Indian residential schools. Narine, Shari // Alberta Sweetgrass;May2014, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p5
The article discusses the child welfare system in Alberta and its impact on Aboriginal children in relation to the advocacy of Creating Hope Society with Bernadette Iahtail as executive director.
- BC Activists Protest Aboriginal Child Protection. // Native American Law Digest;Sep2006, Vol. 16 Issue 9, p10
The article reports that several members of Sto:lo bands in British Columbia are protesting care given by the province to aboriginal children. According to Ernie Crey, technical adviser to the Sto:lo Child Protection Action Committee, protection services for aboriginal children are in shambles....
- Childhood after childhood left without support. Narine, Shari // Windspeaker;Dec2014, Vol. 32 Issue 9, p7
The article discusses a forthcoming verdict by the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal as of December 2014, on charges that the government has been providing unequal child welfare service funding for First Nations children.
- Jordan's Principle, governments' paralysis. MacDonald, Noni; Attaran, Amir // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;8/14/2007, Vol. 177 Issue 4, p321
The article presents information on Jordan, a child who died after becoming what the authors view as a victim of racial discrimination in Manitoba. Jordan was an aboriginal child with a rare neuromuscular disorder. As the authors note, the federal and Manitoba governments could not agree on who...