The State of the City
- Area Definitions. // Employment & Earnings;May2003, Vol. 50 Issue 5, p188
Lists the definitions used for the 337 metropolitan areas in the U.S. which were published through the Local Area Unemployment Statistics program.
- Merrillville. Skertic, Alison // Indiana Business Magazine;Jan2001, Vol. 45 Issue 1, p48
Features the business atmosphere of Merrillville, largest town in Indiana. Two main reasons for Merrillville's success; Major employers; Retail trade; Real estate development; Hospitality industry; Move to convert the town to a city.
- From Metropolis to Metropolis-based Region: The Case of Tel-Aviv. Bar-El, Raphael; Parr, John B. // Urban Studies (Routledge);Jan2003, Vol. 40 Issue 1, p113
The decreasing relative importance of major metropolitan areas in the distribution of population and economic activity within many nations of the developed world raises questions about the emergence of agglomeration diseconomies and the associated changes in spatial structure. Here, we explore...
- Days of Yore. Morgan, Kitty // Cincinnati Magazine;Oct2000, Vol. 34 Issue 1, p16
Comments on how Cincinnati, Ohio can prevent the danger of falling from the second tier of metropolises in the United States. Levels of civic mediocrity in the city; Changes in the city's landscape; Lessons that can be learned on how Rome, Italy promotes itself; Importance of looking for ways...
- Provincial and Proud of It. Nold Jr., James // Louisville Magazine;Jul2000, Vol. 51 Issue 7, p77
Discusses the author's criticism of the tendency of city residents to ignore the qualities that make Louisville, Kentucky stand out as a symbol of provincialism.
- Slippage. Reiff, Rick // Orange County Business Journal;7/14/2003, Vol. 26 Issue 28, p55
Comments on results of Milken Institute's annual survey of the economic performance of metropolitan areas in the United States which showed that California's cities are in decline. Rankings of Orange County and San Diego; Emphasis on job growth in Milken's analysis; Orange County Business...
- CHAPTER 5: THE CITIES. // Slovenia;2005, p46
This chapter provides information on the cities in Slovenia. It provides a brief look on Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia. The sights and attractions in the city of Piran is mentioned. It describes the city of Bled. A brief background on the city of Koper is presented.
- The Future Metropolitan Landscape. Bosselmann, Peter; Ruggeri, Deni // Places: Forum of Design for the Public Realm;Spring2007, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p4
The article discusses various essays that were presented at a conference on the future of metropolitan landscape in March 2005, and published within the issue, including one that looked at the metropolitan landscape as a regional commons and another about metropolitan research.
- Don't despair: Chicago area already has its act together. Marciniak, Ed // Crain's Chicago Business;05/22/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 21, p11
Focuses on conditions that splinter the Chicago, Illinois metropolitan area. Urban sprawl; Flight of people and jobs to the suburbs; Inadequate mass transit; Decrease of open space.