Amid Rift, Minnesota, Feds Join Sales Tax Reform Push
- Wyoming Reforms Sales Tax; Internet's Free Ride May End. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;03/05/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31089, p6
Reports the signing of a legislation to enact sales tax reform measures in Wyoming. Aim of collecting taxes on out-of-state sales; Possibility of imposing tax on Internet-based sales; Introduction of the proposed Internet Tax Nondiscrimination Act.
- Four More States Jump on the Sales Tax Reform Legislation Bandwagon. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;06/04/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31152, p47
Reports that the states of Tennessee, Maryland, Louisiana and Oklahoma have enacted sales tax reform legislation promoted by the Streamlined Sales Tax Project, a 32-state coalition trying to make it easier for states to tax online sales. Total number of states that enacted the measure; Key...
- Tax-free Internet sales should stay that way. // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;05/22/2000, Issue 322619, p30
Editorial. Comments on the United States House of Representatives' passage of a bill that would extend the sales tax exemption on sales made through the Internet. Percent of U.S. sales from electronic-commerce; Projected e-commerce sales by the year 2004; Percentage of the online community who...
- California May Put Tax Bite On E-Tailers. Trager, Louis // Inter@ctive Week;09/04/2000, Vol. 7 Issue 35, p16
Reports that the California legislature's move to tax online sales by all companies with affiliated stores in the state could spur similar efforts elsewhere. Likely result if the California measure is enacted; Industry associations that stand opposed; Misconception about Internet levies.
- Utah Enacts Online Sales Tax Reform. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;03/23/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31103, p29
Reports on the enactment of a sales tax reform legislation in Utah which was promoted by the Streamlined Sales Tax Project, a state coalition trying to facilitate the handling of online sales taxation of states. Organizations supporting the Streamlined Sales Tax Project; Model legislation...
- Issues and proposed solutions. // Congressional Digest;May2000, Vol. 79 Issue 5, p132
Focuses on issues regarding Internet taxation policy in the United States. Enactment of the 1998 Internet Tax Freedom Act; Proposed resolutions seeking a permanent status of Federal moratorium on State and local taxes on Internet; Proposal of Senator Ernest Hollings to impose a five percent...
- E-Retailers To Merge? Cody, Tamika // Mergers & Acquisitions: The Dealermaker's Journal;Dec2011, Vol. 46 Issue 12, p26
The article reports on the introduction of the Main Street Fairness Act (MSFA) which requires Internet and catalog retailers to collect state and local sales tax from their customers if passed in the U.S. It is believed that online retailers will be at disadvantage if the act is passed because...
- Tax questions dog Internet. Seelig // Grand Rapids Business Journal;10/11/99, Vol. 17 Issue 41, pB7
Highlights discussions on the Internet Tax Freedom Act sponsored by the Michigan Economic Development Corporation. Ban of specific forms of Internet taxation; Requirement on retail purchasers to submit use taxes for online purchases; Imposition of sales-tax collection requirements on companies.
- Main Street Fairness May Be a Bad Act For W.Va. // State Journal (WV);9/9/2011, Vol. 27 Issue 35, p29
In this article the author presents his opposing views on the West Virginia Main Street Fairness Act. He stated that charging sales tax on internet purchases is not fair. He also stated that West Virginia has small population so any kind of sales taxes affect the internet transactions revenues...