FIDES ET RATIO AND THE UNIVERSITY: REFLECTIONS ON THINKING WITHIN A TRADITION
- `Faith and Reason' A Note on the New Encyclical. Dulles, Avery // America;10/31/1998, Vol. 179 Issue 13, p7
Focuses on the encyclical entitled `Faith and Reason (Fides et Ratio),' by Pope John Paul II. Highlights of the encyclical; Pope's different perspectives about faith and reason.
- A PASSION FOR TRUTH: THE WAY OF FAITH AND REASON. Neuhaus, Richard John // First Things: A Monthly Journal of Religion & Public Life;Dec1998, Issue 88, p65
Presents observations on Pope John Paul II's `Fides et Ratio' (Faith and Reason) encyclical. Concept of human beings as natural philosophers; Operation of philosophy and the sciences within the order of natural reason; Reason's capacity for knowledge of God; Distinction between faith and reason...
- FROM 'ET' TO 'UT': THE ENCYCLICAL LETTER FIDES ET RATIO AND THE MISSION OF THE UNIVERSITY OF SAN... // Dialogue & Universalism;1999, Vol. 9 Issue 7/8, p69
Presents reflections on the encyclical letter 'Fides et Ratio' of Pope John Paul II. Emphasis on the relationship between faith and reason; Fruit of lifetime of philosophical and theological reflection; Importance of applying appropriate hermeneutics to a text; Mission of University of San...
- LA UNIDAD DE LA VERDAD EN EL ACCESO A DIOS: CIENCIA, RAZ�N Y FE. TANZELLA-NITTI, GIUSEPPE // Scripta Theologica;may-ago2009, Vol. 41 Issue 2, p409
Though Fides et ratio mainly concerns the relationship between philosophy and theology, a careful reading of the text suggests that the activity of the sciences is not foreign to the core message of the encyclical. A few but meaningful references to scientific knowledge and to the activity of...
- Champions of reason and the Year Of Faith. Poulsom, Martin // Pastoral Review;Nov/Dec2012, Vol. 8 Issue 6, p4
The article focuses on the relations between faith and reason based on developments in the Catholic Church since Vatican II. The author talks about the encyclical "Fides et Ratio" on faith and reason written by Pope John Paul II which understands faith and reason as complementary. He also talks...
- John Paul II. Neuhaus, Richard John // Christian History;2000, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p34
Profiles Pope John Paul II. Religious education; Role he played in the end of the empire of Soviet communism; Influence in world affairs; Theme of his first sermon as pope; Opposition to liberation theology; Encyclical letters he has written. INSETS: Timeline;You Are There.
- Back to Basics. // Commonweal;11/06/98, Vol. 125 Issue 19, p6
Deals with the message of Pope John Paul II to Catholics on the encyclical `Fides et ratio,' concerning the church and the world. Message of `Fides et ratio'; Comments on the implications of the pope's message.
- LITERATURE AS IF CHRIST MATTERED. Leiva-Merikakis, Erasmo // Dialogue & Universalism;1999, Vol. 9 Issue 7/8, p63
Presents reflections on the encyclical letter 'Fides et Ratio' of Pope John Paul II. Methodology of intelligent admiration; Need for faith to relate any and every form of literary narrative to the controlling narrative at the heart of Christianity; Son of God's glorification on the Cross.
- JOHN PAUL II: THE COMPLEMENTARITY OF FAITH AND PHILOSOPHY IN THE SEARCH FOR TRUTH. // Dialogue & Universalism;1999, Vol. 9 Issue 7/8, p81
Presents reflections on the encyclical letter 'Fides et Ratio' of Pope John Paul II. Distillation of his own personal experience of what it means to be a fully alive Catholic intellectual; Fundamental truths about the meaning of human life; Innate orientation of the human mind toward the...