Futile protest will achieve nothing
- Retailers face union protests over imports. Kidd, Andrew // Cabinet Maker;03/09/2001, Issue 5228, p1
Reports the plans of the furniture industry labor union GMB over the influx of imported furniture in Great Britain. Demonstrations outside the furniture retailing establishment; Efforts to ensure imported upholstery compliance with flammability regulations; Enlistment of legislators as industry...
- John Edmonds. Richards, Steve // New Statesman;09/13/99, Vol. 128 Issue 4453, p18
Presents an interview with John Edmonds who is the leader of the GMB union. Views on the relationship between the unions and the British government; Views on the pay of public sector workers; Views on Gordon Brown.
- Thales signs with two UK unions to support MoD bids. // Electronics Weekly;2/6/2002, Issue 2038, p3
Reports that Thales, a French defense firm, has signed a voluntary partnership agreement with unions Amicus and GMB. Agenda of Thales for signing an agreement with both unions; Projects that Thales will be competing for in 2002.
- Union bosses demand House of Commons hearing over UBU closure. // Cabinet Maker;02/20/98, Issue 5076, p3
Reports that union leaders at the furniture company Great Universal Stores PLC's UBU unit have demanded a hearing at the British House of Commons for the company's closure plan. Reaction of unions on the company's decision to withdraw productions; Staff cuts at UBU.
- In brief. // Public Finance;9/21/2001, p7
Reports on developments concerning public finance in Great Britain as of September 21, 2001. Suspension by the GMB unions of its planned campaign against the government's public service reform; Creation of a special civil service unit in the Department of Health; Allegations of misuse of public...
- GMB link with Polish union will give huge boost to membership. // Personnel Today;1/23/2007, p6
The article reports on the possible increase in the number of Polish workers who will apply for membership for the GMB, British General Union, as it joins with Polish Union, Solidarity. Polish workers who migrate to Britain will be informed about the British employment rights. Meanwhile, GMB...
- Union merger 'born of weakness, not strength.'. // People Management;2/10/2005, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p7
The article reports on the creation of a super union comprising Amicus, the T&G and the GMB in Great Britain. Tony Woodley, T&G general secretary, said a merger could help unions to focus on fighting for our members in the workplace as one powerful unit. The combined unions would have 2.6...
- TRUTH OF THE MATTER. Levinson, Stephen // People Management;8/23/2007, Vol. 13 Issue 17, p19
The article reports on the not guilty judgment of the Employment Appeals Tribunal in the case GMB vs. Allen. The tribunal stated that the company has mislead its female members into accepting a pay deal. The Tribunal cited that an indirect discrimination can be justified if it can be shown to be...
- Asda and GMB on common ground in recognition row. // Personnel Today;4/18/2006, p2
This article reports that the long-running dispute between Asda Group Ltd. and GMB over union recognition at the supermarket's distribution depots could finally be nearing resolution. At the conclusion of a meeting last week between Asda chief executive, Andy Bond, and GMB acting general...