VICTIMS WITHOUT LEGAL REMEDIES: WHY KIDS NEED SCHOOLS TO DEVELOP COMPREHENSIVE ANTI-BULLYING POLICIES
- CRPD Support. // PN;Dec2014, Vol. 68 Issue 12, p14
The article focuses on the continuing support of the Paralyzed Veterans of America (PVA) to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) after the United Nations' (UN) international human rights treaty failed to get onto the U.S. Senate floor on September 17, 2014.
- LEGAL MATTERS. DECKER, JANET R.; ECKES, SUZANNE E.; TANSELLE, LISA // Principal Leadership;Nov2015, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p18
The article discusses the legal concerns related to U.S. disability law when students with disabilities are bullied. Topics include the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act which concerns special education related services for students with special needs, the Americans with Disabilities...
- Hate crime legislation awaits Senate action. Reid, Harry // Contemporary Sexuality;Jul2009, Vol. 43 Issue 7, p8
The article reports that a bill that was approved of by the U.S. House of Representatives and is awaiting action by the U.S. Senate seeks to increase the prosecution of "hate crimes." The bill would provide special funding to state and local law enforcement to investigate and prosecute such...
- New Tools to Address Sexual Assault of People With Disabilities. Cook-DanieIs, Loree // Victimization of the Elderly & Disabled;Mar/Apr2014, Vol. 16 Issue 6, p85
The article reports on the Education, Training, and Enhanced Services to End Violence Against and Abuse of Women With Disabilities Grant Program created by the U.S. Congress. It describes the goal of the program. Amy Loder, acting associate director at the Office on Violence Against Women (OVW),...
- New Laws May Remake "The System". Cook-Daniels, Loree // Victimization of the Elderly & Disabled;Jul/Aug2014, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p1
The article reports that new provisions under the U.S. Family Violence Prevention Services Act (FVPSA) and the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) which focused on the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people may remake the nation's service system for abused adults and elders. The...
- Disability Culture and the ADA. Brown, Steven E. // Disability Studies Quarterly;2015, Vol. 35 Issue 3, p4
This article begins with a personal, pre-Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) story of employment discrimination and how from it I became involved with the Disability Rights Movement. The narrative then moves into my finding, exploring and discussing the importance of Disability Culture....
- Unfulfilled Promise: Voting Rights for People with Mental Disabilities and the Halving of HAVA's Potential. Hoemer, Benjamin O. // Texas Journal on Civil Liberties & Civil Rights;Fall2014/Spring2015, Vol. 20 Issue 1/2, p89
The article provides information on the issues surrounding the voting rights of people with mental disabilities due to the voting technology incentives in the Help America Vote Act of 2002. It uses the definition from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders for "people with...
- Missed Opportunity to Lead. // America;1/7/2013, Vol. 208 Issue 1, p4
The article comments on an international treaty called the Convention on the Rights of Persons With Disabilities, that was unsuccessful in the U.S. as it could not get the majority votes from senators, and it is stated that the bill will come again before the U.S. Senate in 2013.
- Activists are made, not born. King, Martha // Momentum (19403410);Fall2008, Vol. 1 Issue 4, p7
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including one about the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and another about community accessibility.