The Global Revolution
- Cingular Hits Northwest. // Wireless Week;03/12/2001, Vol. 7 Issue 11, p28
Focuses on the global system for mobile communications (GSM) wireless service launched by Cingular Wireless in Spokane and Seattle, Washington. Description of its branding campaign; Significance of the technology.
- When Will We See an LBS Killer App? Finniear, Lee // Geospatial Solutions;Feb2003, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p58
Focuses on the components needed to create a killer location-based service (LBS) application. Appropriateness of LBS for mobile data networks, global positioning systems and user handsets; Text messaging capability of mobile phones; Impact of positioning systems in the successful deployment of...
- GSM breaks 200m mark. // RCR;09/06/99, Vol. 18 Issue 36, p14
Focuses on the growth of the Global System for Mobile communications market.
- Doubling up on GSM networks. Lefevre, Steven; Brunzell, Ingmar // Telecom Asia;May98, Vol. 9 Issue 5, p46
Provides information on the deployment of dual band global system for mobile communication (GSM) systems. Countries that deployed a dual GSM system; Difference between dual band and dual mode; Basic operating mode for dual band mobile phones.
- Microcell reports Wireless Office trial with Ernst & Young. // RCR;06/05/2000, Vol. 19 Issue 23, p57
Reports on the collaboration of Microcell Connexions and Ernst & Young to deploy and launch a real-world trial of Microcell Wireless Office, a service enabling a company to incorporate Global System for Mobile communications equipment into its existing Internet Protocol-based local area network.
- Growth factors. // Global Telephony;Oct99, Vol. 7 Issue 9, p16
Reports on developments signifying the expansion of wireless networks worldwide, as of October 1999. Hunan Unicom's expansion of the capacity of its global system for mobile communications (GSM) network; ICOM-Liberia's upgrading of its small AMPS system with an IS-36 based digital cellular...
- Extending GPS Capabilities. Poizer, Steve; Todd, Karissa // Wireless Review;05/01/99, Vol. 16 Issue 9, p26
Discusses the technologies that solve wireless location problems. Uses of location technology; Network-based solutions; Advantages and disadvantages of handset-based solutions using global positioning systems (GPS); Enhanced GPS (EGPS).
- NOTES. // GPS World;Apr2000, Vol. 11 Issue 4, p60
Cites developments concerning Global Positioning System (GPS) and wireless communication technologies as of April 2000. Includes highlights of the March 2000 Cellular Telephone Industry Association Wireless show; SiGEM Inc.'s completion of a GPS module employing GPS Wide Area Augmentation...
- GPS, Call Home. Gibbons, Glen // GPS World;Mar2001, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p11
Comments on the need to integrate Global Positioning System into wireless communication systems. Ingenious solutions created by wireless carriers and non-global navigation satellite system technology providers who employ the network infrastructure to provide caller location; Need to provide...