Linking nutrition, academia
- Breakfast at school becomes more popular. // Nation's Restaurant News;09/29/97, Vol. 31 Issue 39, p50
Presents a graph illustrating how frequently American students buy breakfast at school. Increased interest in eating breakfast; Percentage of schools that offer breakfast programs.
- Off to a good start. // Humpty Dumpty's Magazine;Sep96, Vol. 44 Issue 6, p35
Offers advice for parents on what to feed their children at breakfast to ensure optimum performance in school. Breakfast as brain food; Healthful breakfasts as key factor in children's better performance in school; Variety of food in children's diets.
- Feeding of school children in a London borough. Bender, A.E.; Harris, Mary C.; Getreuer, Ann // British Medical Journal;3/19/1977, Vol. 1 Issue 6063, p757
Examines the energy content of the average school meal in a London borough. Failure of school meals to meet the standard set by the Department of Health and Social Security; Reasons the failure of the amount of food served to reach the nutritional target; Percentage of children having no breakfast.
- GIVE YOUR KIDS A head start AT SCHOOL. // Good Health (Australia Edition);Mar2010, p96
The article offers tips on how to give the schoolchildren a healthy breakfast, including turning off the television (TV), eating together and giving them high-fiber cereal.
- Back to school: Breakfast--the most important meal of the day made easy. Lakey, Lisa // High Plains Journal;9/14/2015, Vol. 133 Issue 37, p16B
The article offers suggestion for parents of school children to prepare some quick and easy breakfast before their child leaves for school which include making instant oatmeal, topping a toaster waffle with low-fat yogurt, and spreading low-fat cream cheese on a whole-grain toasted bagel.
- START SCHOOL WITH BREAKFAST. // NEA Today;Winter2012, p75
The article discusses a report about school breakfast services entitled "Start School with Breakfast: A Guide to Increasing Breakfast Participation," by the National Education Association's (NEA) Health Information Network (HIN), available online at www.neahin.org/startschoolwithbreakfast.
- Trench Town primary students get breakfast. // Hot Calaloo;Jun2011, p10
The article offers information on a breakfast program launched by the Professional Jamaicans for Jamaica at the Trench Town Primary School in Kingston.
- Study links breakfast to good grades. // Christian Science Monitor;12/5/2000, Vol. 93 Issue 8, p14
Reports on a study which reveals that schools in the United States which offer breakfasts to students reported higher math scores and lower absenteeism.
- Welsh breakfast for school children. Hubbard, Ben // Education (14637073);11/14/2003, Issue 120, p1
Reports on the plan accepted by the Welsh Assembly as of November 14, 2003 to provide Welsh children with free breakfasts at schools. Importance of children eating a proper breakfast; Types of food included in the breakfast; Number of schools in Wales which offer breakfasts.