Initiation of insulin therapy in elderly patients taking oral antidiabetes drugs
- Pharmacologic management of type 2 diabetes in the elderly: Overview of treatment... da Silva, Barbara A. // Formulary;Jul2000, Vol. 35 Issue 7, p580
Evaluates treatment options for type 2 diabetes in the elderly. Complications requiring special consideration in the elderly; Glycemic control techniques; Oral hypoglycemic medications; Combination therapy; Adverse effects; Drug interactions; Dosage administration.
- Management of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Older Adults. Kyung Soo Kim; Soo Kyung Kim; Kyung Mi Sung; Yong Wook Cho; Seok Won Park // Diabetes & Metabolism Journal;Oct2012, Vol. 36 Issue 5, p336
In the near future, the majority of patients with diabetes will be adults aged 65 or older. Unlike young adults with diabetes, elderly diabetic people may be affected by a variety of comorbid conditions such as depression, cognitive impairment, muscle weakness (sarcopenia), falls and fractures,...
- Safety of Type 2 Diabetes Treatment With Repaglinide Compared With Glibenclamide in Elderly People. Papa, Giuseppe; Purrello, Francesco; Fedele, Viviana; Leotta, Carmelo; Rizzo, Maria Rosaria; Paolisso, Giuseppe; Fioravanti, Marisa; Solerte, Sebastiano Bruno // Diabetes Care;Aug2006, Vol. 29 Issue 8, p1918
The article presents a study that assesses the safety of repaglinide versus glibenclamide in older people, in terms of hypoglycemia and adverse events. A total of 88 patients completed the trial. After titration, the mean therapeutic dose was 4.1 mg/day for repaglinide period and 6.1 mg/day for...
- New guidelines emphasize intensive management of type 2 diabetes. // Geriatrics;Jan2000, Vol. 55 Issue 1, p31
Announces the move of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE) in releasing an updated version of its guidelines for the management of patients with type 2 diabetes. Objective of the guidelines; Comments from Doctor Richard A. Dickey, president of the AACE; Information on the...
- Dapagliflozin plus metformin improved glycemic control, weight loss. Brannon, Matthew; Kalvaitis, Katie; Southall, Jennifer // Endocrine Today;Jul2010, Vol. 8 Issue 7, p16
The article discusses a study which investigated the effectiveness of dapagliflozin in improving glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) levels and inducing further weight loss in combination with metformin for the treatment of uncontrolled type 2 diabetes.
- Long-term efficacy of vildagliptin in patients with type 2 diabetes undergoing hemodialysis. Jun-ichiro Mera; Eiko Okada; Masumi Okuda; Tatsuru Ota; Shigeru Sibata; Shunya Uchida // Journal of Diabetes & Metabolic Disorders;11/5/2015, Vol. 14, p1
Background: There are few studies evaluating long-term glycemic control using a dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor in type 2 diabetes patients with end-stage renal disease (ESRD). The aim of this study was to evaluate the safety and efficacy of vildagliptin therapy over 2 years in type 2 diabetes...
- Once-weekly exenatide in type 2 diabetes. Parmar, Dinesh; Jadav, Shilpa // International Journal of Diabetes in Developing Countries;Apr2011, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p121
A letter to the editor is presented in response to a study on the safety and efficacy of exenatide in type 2 diabetes.
- Combination Therapy Clinical Trials. // Pharmacy Today;Sep2011 Supplement, p4
The article focuses on the clinical trials that evaluate the efficacy and safety of dipeptidyl-peptidase-4 (DDP-4) inhibitor called Tradjenta as an add-on therapy to metformin and pioglitazone in patients with type 2 diabetes with inadequate glycemic control.
- Successful Treatment of Multiple Cerebral Histoplasmomas with Itraconazole. Bamberger, David M. // Clinical Infectious Diseases;4/1/1999, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p915
Reports on the effectiveness of multiple cerebral histoplasmomas with Itraconazole. Case of a woman with a history of type II diabetes mellitus; List of neurological signs and symptoms experienced by the woman; Administration of Itraconazole.