- Clinical Trial Data: Share and Share Alike? Mitka, Mike // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;3/3/2015, Vol. 313 Issue 9, p881
The article reports on the reluctance of researchers to share clinical trial data. Topics discussed include the reasons behind the reluctance, the impact of this behavior on medical research and clinical trial results validation and the Institute of Medicine (IOM) issuing proposed standards for...
- Comparative Effectiveness Research: An Empirical Study of Trials Registered in ClinicalTrials.gov. Bourgeois, Florence T.; Murthy, Srinivas; Mandl, Kenneth D. // PLoS ONE;Jan2012, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p1
Background: The $1.1 billion investment in comparative effectiveness research will reshape the evidence-base supporting decisions about treatment effectiveness, safety, and cost. Defining the current prevalence and characteristics of comparative effectiveness (CE) research will enable future...
- Subject Protection Issues Gain Broad Support. Wechsler, Jill // Applied Clinical Trials;Oct2006, Vol. 15 Issue 10, p26
The article reports on the protection of prisoners during clinical trials conducted by the Institute of Medicine (IOM) and other medical organizations in the U.S. Conduct of clinical studies deal on determining the possibility that prisoners were using illegal drugs or having viral diseases. IOM...
- Effects of Disclosing Financial Interests on Attitudes Toward Clinical Research. Weinfurt, Kevin P.; Hall, Mark A.; Dinan, Michaela A.; DePuy, Venita; Friedman, Joëlle Y.; Allsbrook, Jennifer S.; Sugarman, Jeremy // JGIM: Journal of General Internal Medicine;Jun2008, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p860
The effects of disclosing financial interests to potential research participants are not well understood. To examine the effects of financial interest disclosures on potential research participantsâ€™ attitudes toward clinical research. Computerized experiment conducted with 3,623 adults in...
- IOM releases recommendations for cancer clinical trials. Lawrence, Leah // Hem/Onc Today;5/25/2010, Vol. 11 Issue 10, p20
The article offers a look at the report "A National Cancer Clinical Trials System for the 21st Century: Reinvigorating the NCI Cooperative Group Program" released by the Institute of Medicine.
- IOM Wants Ideas on Wider Sharing of Clinical Trials Data. Goedert, Joseph // Healthdatamanagement.com;1/22/2014, p1
The article reports that the U.S. Institute of Medicine (IOM) has issued a discussion framework in which it has invited ideas on clinical trials data from researchers, clinical trial sponsors and patients that will provide deeper understanding of therapies and basis for clinical care.
- Standards and Surveillance. Wechsler, Jill // Applied Clinical Trials;Jun2001, Vol. 10 Issue 6, p30
Reports that public and private organizations are developing accreditation standards for research entities that could affect the United States Food and Drug Administration's oversight of clinical studies. Recommendation for the establishment of an accreditation system by the Institute of...
- Medical Devices ï¿½ Balancing Regulation and Innovation. // New England Journal of Medicine;1/19/2012, Vol. 366 Issue 3, p280
The article discusses the challenges of ensuring that complex medical devices are both safe and effective in the U.S. It says that many citizens suffer or even die from complications related to medical devices that were never studied in clinical trials before being transplanted in patients....
- Four models of clinical trial data sharing offered in new report. Zeliadt, Nicholette; Khamsi, Roxanne // Nature Medicine;Mar2014, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p224
The article focuses on a workshop held by the Institute of Medicine (IOM) in February 2014 in Washington, D.C. that discussed a report which highlight four mechanisms by which trial sponsors and scientists should share clinical research data and featured Bernard Lo, of the Greenwall Foundation.