The correlation between the severity of peripheral arterial disease and carotid occlusive disease
- The antihyperlipidemic pravastatin slows the rate of carotid-wall thickening. // Modern Medicine;Jun95, Vol. 63 Issue 6, p48
Presents an abstract on the article `Pravastatin, Lipids, and Atherosclerosis in the Carotid Arteries,' by J.R. Crouse III, R.P. Byington, et al., which was published in the `American Journal of Cardiology' dated March 1, 1995.
- Intima-Media Thickness of the Common Carotid Arteries Is Related to Coronary Atherosclerosis and left Ventricular Hypertrophy in Older Adults. Raso, Francesco Mattace; van Popele, Nicole M.; Schalekamp, Maarten A.D.H.; van der Cammen, Tischa J.M. // Angiology;Sep/Oct2002, Vol. 53 Issue 5, p569
Reports on the link of increased intima-media thickness (IMT) of the common carotid arteries to generalized atherosclerosis and increased risk of heart disease. Documentation of the incidence of coronary artery disease in patients with IMT; Evaluation of the association of carotid...
- Relation Between Coronary Artery Disease, Risk Factors and Intima-Media Thickness of Carotid Artery, Arterial Distensibility and Stiffness Index. Alan, Sait; Ulgen, Mehmet S.; Ozturk, Onder; Alan, Bircan; Ozdemir, Levent; Toprak, Nizamettin // Angiology;May/Jun2003, Vol. 54 Issue 3, p261
Atherosclerosis is a diffuse process that involves vessel structures. In recent years, the relation of noninvasive parameters such as intima-media thickening (IMT), arterial distensibility (AD), and stiffness index (SI) to cardiovascular diseases has been researched. However, we have not found...
- Electron Microscopic Luminal Surface Characteristics of Carotid Plaques. Kasirajan, Karthikeshwar; Cornu-Labat, Gaston; Turner, John J.; Rubin, Jeffrey R. // Vascular Surgery;Nov/Dec1997, Vol. 31 Issue 6, p769
Luminal surface characteristics in symptomatic and asymptomatic patients with carotid artery disease have not been thoroughly evaluated. Carotid artery atherosclerotic plaques were subjected to a scanning electron microscopic (EM) examination to determine plaque surface morphology. Correlation...
- Association Between Mitral Annular Calcification and Carotid Atheroma. Soylu, Mustafa; Demir, Ahmet Duran; Arda, Kemal; Uzun, Yucel; Goksel, Siber // Angiology;Mar2001, Vol. 52 Issue 3, p201
Investigates the association between mitral annular calcification and carotid atheroma. Comparison of the characteristics of carotid atheroma in patients with and without mitral annular calcification; Risk of atherosclerosis in the elderly with mitral annular calcification.
- Supplemental vitamin C may hasten atherosclerosis. // Geriatrics;May2000, Vol. 55 Issue 5, p15
Provides information on the effect of regular vitamin C supplement on the development of early atherosclerosis. Effects of vitamin C supplement on the body; Relationship between vitamin C intake and arterial wall thickening; Information on vitamin C as a positive predictor of intimamedia...
- Factors Associated With Early Atherosclerosis and Arterial Calcifications in Young Subjects With a Benign Phenotype of Obesity. Gilardini, Luisa; Pasqualinotto, Lucia; Di Matteo, Silvia; Caffetto, Katherine; Croci, Marina; Girola, Andrea; Invitti, Cecilia // Obesity (19307381);Aug2011, Vol. 19 Issue 8, p1684
We assessed (i) the association between early arterial disease and factors linked to adiposity, dietary habits, and family in a young cohort of 151 obese children and adolescents with less than or equal to one cardiovascular (CV) risk factor, (ii) whether in subjects with carotid calcifications...
- In vivo measurement of plaque neovascularisation and thermal heterogeneity in intermediate lesions of human carotid arteries. Toutouzas, Konstantinos; Drakopoulou, Maria; Aggeli, Constantina; Nikolaou, Charalampia; Felekos, Ioannis; Grassos, Haralampos; Synetos, Andreas; Stathogiannis, Konstantinos; Karanasos, Antonis; Tsiamis, Eleftherios; Siores, Elias; Stefanadis, Christodoulos // Heart;Dec2012, Vol. 98 Issue 23, p1716
Objectives Both neoangiogenesis and inflammation contribute in atherosclerosis progression. Contrastenhanced ultrasound (CEUS) provides visualisation of plaque neovascularisation. Microwave radiometry (MR) allows in vivo non-invasive measurement of temperature of tissues, reflecting inflammatory...
- Atherosclerotic Carotid Artery Dissection. Tiryakioglu, Osman; Demirtas, Sinan; Ozyazicioglu, Ahmet Fatih; Yavuz, Senol // Internet Journal of Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery;2007, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p8
The diagnostic and therapeutic alternatives in a 54 year old patient with 70-90% stenosis in the right carotid artery and dissection due to atherosclerosis in the left carotid artery are presented.