The correlation between the severity of peripheral arterial disease and carotid occlusive disease
- The antihyperlipidemic pravastatin slows the rate of carotid-wall thickening. // Modern Medicine;Jun95, Vol. 63 Issue 6, p48
Presents an abstract on the article `Pravastatin, Lipids, and Atherosclerosis in the Carotid Arteries,' by J.R. Crouse III, R.P. Byington, et al., which was published in the `American Journal of Cardiology' dated March 1, 1995.
- Intima-Media Thickness of the Common Carotid Arteries Is Related to Coronary Atherosclerosis and left Ventricular Hypertrophy in Older Adults. Raso, Francesco Mattace; van Popele, Nicole M.; Schalekamp, Maarten A.D.H.; van der Cammen, Tischa J.M. // Angiology;Sep/Oct2002, Vol. 53 Issue 5, p569
Reports on the link of increased intima-media thickness (IMT) of the common carotid arteries to generalized atherosclerosis and increased risk of heart disease. Documentation of the incidence of coronary artery disease in patients with IMT; Evaluation of the association of carotid...
- Relation Between Coronary Artery Disease, Risk Factors and Intima-Media Thickness of Carotid Artery, Arterial Distensibility and Stiffness Index. Alan, Sait; Ulgen, Mehmet S.; Ozturk, Onder; Alan, Bircan; Ozdemir, Levent; Toprak, Nizamettin // Angiology;May/Jun2003, Vol. 54 Issue 3, p261
Atherosclerosis is a diffuse process that involves vessel structures. In recent years, the relation of noninvasive parameters such as intima-media thickening (IMT), arterial distensibility (AD), and stiffness index (SI) to cardiovascular diseases has been researched. However, we have not found...
- Carotid plaques are common in men with heart disease and low HDL. Wilt, Timothy J. // Modern Medicine;Jan98, Vol. 66 Issue 1, p21
Discusses the abstract of the article `Carotid atherosclerosis in men with low levels of HDL cholesterol,' by T.J. Wilt, H.B. Rubins et al, which appeared in the October 7, 1997 issue of `Circulation.'
- Electron Microscopic Luminal Surface Characteristics of Carotid Plaques. Kasirajan, Karthikeshwar; Cornu-Labat, Gaston; Turner, John J.; Rubin, Jeffrey R. // Vascular Surgery;Nov/Dec1997, Vol. 31 Issue 6, p769
Luminal surface characteristics in symptomatic and asymptomatic patients with carotid artery disease have not been thoroughly evaluated. Carotid artery atherosclerotic plaques were subjected to a scanning electron microscopic (EM) examination to determine plaque surface morphology. Correlation...
- Association Between Mitral Annular Calcification and Carotid Atheroma. Soylu, Mustafa; Demir, Ahmet Duran; Arda, Kemal; Uzun, Yucel; Goksel, Siber // Angiology;Mar2001, Vol. 52 Issue 3, p201
Investigates the association between mitral annular calcification and carotid atheroma. Comparison of the characteristics of carotid atheroma in patients with and without mitral annular calcification; Risk of atherosclerosis in the elderly with mitral annular calcification.
- Supplemental vitamin C may hasten atherosclerosis. // Geriatrics;May2000, Vol. 55 Issue 5, p15
Provides information on the effect of regular vitamin C supplement on the development of early atherosclerosis. Effects of vitamin C supplement on the body; Relationship between vitamin C intake and arterial wall thickening; Information on vitamin C as a positive predictor of intimamedia...
- Carotid Plaque Morphologic Characteristics. Aidinian, Gilbert; Weiswasser, Jonathan M.; Arora, Subodh; Abularrage, Christopher J.; Singh, Niten; Sidawy, Anton N. // Perspectives in Vascular Surgery & Endovascular Therapy;Mar2006, Vol. 18 Issue 1, p63
Carotid artery atherosclerosis is predominantly believed to mirror atherosclerosis elsewhere in the body. Endothelial injury results in expression of cell surface adhesion molecules with expression of sequence of genes involved in the inflammatory pathway and expression of proinflammatory...
- Significance of the Intima-Media Thickness of Carotid and Thoracic Aorta in Coronary Artery Disease in the South Indian Population. Meenakshisundaram, Ramachandran; Devidutta, Soumen; Michaels, Andrew D.; Senthilkumaran, Subramanian; Rajendiran, Chinnasamy; Thirumalaikolundusubramanian, Ponniah // Heart Views;Oct-Dec2011, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p150
Background: Ultrasound detected intima-media thickness (IMT) of the carotid artery and thoracic aorta are possible screening tests to assess the risk of coronary artery disease (CAD) in asymptomatic individuals. Objective: Aim of the study was to assess the utility of carotid and aortic IMT as a...