Wyoming Becomes First State to Approve Sales-Tax Reform Measure
- Tax Experts Support Marketplace Fairness Act in Senate Tax Hearing. // GPP eNews;4/27/2012, p2
The article reports on tax experts' support for the Marketplace Fairness Act and their call to close a loophole that allows online retailers to avoid collecting sales taxes.
- Sales Tax Legislation Can Only Address Some of Retail Changes. London, Gary // San Diego Business Journal;4/25/2011, Vol. 32 Issue 17, p39
In this article, the author discusses the importance of implementing a sales tax for Internet-based transactions in the U.S. He stresses that 2.6 percent of the total retail transactions are not taxed which is more than 12.5 billion dollars. He highlights the Assembly Bills 153 and 155 which aim...
- Taxing the Internet: Will It Kill the Golden Goose? Casazza, Teresa // San Diego Business Journal;09/25/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 39, p67
Comments on the electronic-commerce sales tax legislation approved by the California Legislature. Key provisions of the bill; Impact of the legislation on retailers with out-of-state online locations.
- RETAIL: Visalia biz owner backs e-fairness at Capitol. // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;10/14/2011, p6
The article reports on the support of Brian Perry, owner of California Cartridge Co., to the legislation in California in 2011 that would permit states to commit online companies to their share of the sales tax burden.
- THE STATES WANT A FAIR SHARE. Callaghan, Dennis // eWeek;10/16/2000, Vol. 17 Issue 42, p49
Reports the Streamlined Sales Tax Project of the federal government to raise tax on electronic businesses in the United States. Impact of the project on offline and online commerce; Importance of the bill passed by the California Legislature on online retailers; Context on the federal Internet...
- Issues and proposed solutions. // Congressional Digest;May2000, Vol. 79 Issue 5, p132
Focuses on issues regarding Internet taxation policy in the United States. Enactment of the 1998 Internet Tax Freedom Act; Proposed resolutions seeking a permanent status of Federal moratorium on State and local taxes on Internet; Proposal of Senator Ernest Hollings to impose a five percent...
- Resolution urges federal SST enactment. // Sales & Use Tax Alert;4/1/2011, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p7
The article reports that the Vermont General Assemply is encouraging Congress to introduce federal legislation consistent with the Streamlined Sales and Use Tax (SST) Agreement authorizing the national collection of sales tax arising from online sales.
- Wyoming Reforms Sales Tax; Internet's Free Ride May End. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;03/05/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31089, p6
Reports the signing of a legislation to enact sales tax reform measures in Wyoming. Aim of collecting taxes on out-of-state sales; Possibility of imposing tax on Internet-based sales; Introduction of the proposed Internet Tax Nondiscrimination Act.
- Four More States Jump on the Sales Tax Reform Legislation Bandwagon. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;06/04/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31152, p47
Reports that the states of Tennessee, Maryland, Louisiana and Oklahoma have enacted sales tax reform legislation promoted by the Streamlined Sales Tax Project, a 32-state coalition trying to make it easier for states to tax online sales. Total number of states that enacted the measure; Key...