Early Results of the Ponseti Method for the Treatment of Clubfoot Associated with Myelomeningocele
- Surgical treatment of myelomeningocele: year 2000 hospitalization, outcome, and cost analysis in the US. Anthony Sin; Mahmoud Rashidi; Gloria Caldito; Anil Nanda // Child's Nervous System;Oct2007, Vol. 23 Issue 10, p1125
Abstract ObjectiveÂ Â To review cases of surgical repair for myelomeningocele (MMC) using a large inpatient database from the year 2000. Materials and methodsÂ Â The Nationwide Inpatient Sample (NIS) database with 7.45 million patient admissions for 2000 was retrospectively studied...
- Open Ureterolithotomy In an Era of Endoscopic Surgery for a Patient with Spina Bifida: Was It an Appropriate Decision? Hui Teo, Justius Kok; Goh, Eng Hong; Teoh, Boon Wei; Git, Kah Ann // UroToday International Journal;Oct2012, Vol. 5 Issue 5, p1
Despite advances in endoscopic surgery, there is still a limited role of open surgery in clinical practice. We report a case of a patient with spina bifida presented with a huge ureteric stone. The management of this case is briefly discussed in this report.
- Risk factors for pressure sores in adult patients with myelomeningocele -- a questionnaire-based study. Plaum, Pål-Erik; Riemer, Gunnar; Frøslie, Kathrine Frey // Cerebrospinal Fluid Research;2006, Vol. 3, p14
Background: Myelomeningocele (MMC) is a part of a complex neural tube defect and a disorder of the cerebrospinal fluid system. Pressure sores are a frequent complication for patients with MMC. Little is known about the risk factors for pressure sores in adults with MMC. The aim of this study was...
- myelocele. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1523
A definition of the term "myelocele" which refers to a form of spina bifida with protrusion of the spinal cord is presented.
- Results of Clubfoot Management Using the Ponseti Method: Do the Details Matter? A Systematic Review. Zhao, Dahang; Li, Hai; Zhao, Li; Liu, Jianlin; Wu, Zhenkai; Jin, Fangchun // Clinical Orthopaedics & Related Research;Apr2014, Vol. 472 Issue 4, p1329
Background: Although the Ponseti method is accepted as the best choice for treatment of clubfoot, the treatment protocol is labor intensive and requires strict attention to details. Deviations in strict use of this method are likely responsible for the variations among centers in reported...
- In spina bifida aperta, muscle ultrasound can quantify the 'second hit of damage'. Verbeek, R.; Hoeven, J.; Maurits, N.; Brouwer, O.; Hoving, E.; Sival, D. // Child's Nervous System;Mar2013, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p469
Purpose: In spina bifida aperta (SBA), the 'second-hit hypothesis' addresses consequences by delayed neurological damage superimposed upon the congenital myelomeningocele (MMC). This secondary damage is postulated to underlie the disappearance of leg movements shortly after birth. Innovative...
- Congenital myelomeningocele -- do we have to change our management? Mayer, Steffi; Weisser, Margit; Till, Holger; Gräfe, Gerd; Geyer, Christian // Cerebrospinal Fluid Research;2010, Vol. 7, p17
Background: Eagerly awaiting the results of the Management of Myelomeningocele Study (MOMS) and with an increasing interest in setting up intrauterine myelomeningocele repair (IUMR), the optimal management of patients suffering from congenital myelomeningocele (MMC) has become a matter of debate...
- Life with spina bifida. Zachary, R.B. // British Medical Journal;12/3/1977, Vol. 2 Issue 6100, p1460
Examines the pathophysiology of spina bifida. Signs and symptoms of spina bifida; Correlation between spina bifida and myelomenigocele; Presence of a defective neural tissue in the disease.
- Suboccipital double barrel twin meningocoele: Another new theory? Goyal, Puneet K.; Singh, Daljit; Singh, Hukum; Tandon, Monica // Journal of Pediatric Neurosciences;Jul-Dec2010, Vol. 5 Issue 2, p126
Meningomyelocoele (MMC) forms one of the commonest forms of neural tube defect (NTD). It commonly affects lumbosacral area. Double or triple MMC has been reported at various sites of the spine. This supports multiple site closure of neural tube. We report a case of double MMC located at back of...