Ex-Miss. Bond Counsel Pleads Guilty
- Judge Orders Peden To Disgorge $2 Million. Ferris, Craig T. // Bond Buyer;05/25/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30648, p2
Reports that Mississippi bond counsel Derryl W. Peden has been ordered by a court to disgorge $2 million in ill-gotten gains he received from fraudulent securities deals.
- Ex-Bond Lawyer Nabbed for Robbery. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;05/10/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30888, p2
Reports on the arrest of former bond attorney Derryl Peden for robbery. Cases filed against Peden.
- Peden Gets Six Years in Fraud Case. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;05/15/2001, Vol. 336 Issue 31139, p1
Reports that former bond lawyer Derryl Peden has been sentenced to six years in prison and ordered to pay fines after pleading guilty to conspiracy to commit securities fraud in connection with 74 municipal bond issues. Details of the case.
- Crenshaw, Miss., Signs Closing Agreement With IRS. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;08/13/99, Vol. 329 Issue 30704, p5
Reports on the town of Crenshaw, Massachusetts' agreement with the United States Internal Revenue Service to prevent the agency from revoking the tax-exempt status of urban renewal revenue notes that allegedly violated federal tax laws. Terms of the agreement; Target of urban renewal revenue...
- SEC settles with Moorhead, Miss., over faulty disclosure charges. Hume, Lynn Stevens // Bond Buyer;12/14/98, Vol. 326 Issue 30539, p4
Reports on the US Securities and Exchange Commission's (SEC) settlement with the city of Moorhead, Mississippi over securities fraud charges. Moorhead's alleged faulty disclosures in connection with an tax-exempt note transaction; Terms of the agreement; Bond counsel Derryl Peden's bid to settle...
- IRS cautions Mississippi communities on taxability. McKenna, Jon; McEntee, Christopher // Bond Buyer;08/11/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30206, p1
Reports on the threat by the US Internal Revenue Service to tax municipal bonds underwritten by Thorn, Alvis, Welch & Co. over concerns that they were used for arbitrage profits rather than on civic projects. Thorn firm's deals affecting Mississippi local governments; Settlement between the...
- Derryl Peden Indicted for Muni Fraud. Hume, Lynn // Bond Buyer;06/23/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30919, p1
Reports that a federal grand jury has handed down criminal indictments against former bond counsel Derryl W. Peden and ex-bankers John E. Thorn Jr. and Eugene J. Yelverton Jr. Case background; Peden's involvement in fraudulent municipal note issues that were sold for local governments in...
- Insurers arms of state, appellate court rules. Ceniceros, Roberto // Business Insurance;03/30/98, Vol. 32 Issue 13, p1
Reports on the federal court ruling stating that insurers are arms of the state and the proposed impact of this ruling on insurers. Details on the case; Reference to the `Sullivan versus Barnett' court case; Individuals who brought the lawsuit to trial; Comments from Jim Moran, director,...
- Judicial Update. // Tax Executive;Nov/Dec2002, Vol. 54 Issue 6, p488
Presents an update on U.S. court decisions on cases involving businesses as of November 2002. Opinion given by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, on the Microsoft Corp. v. Commissioner case; Opinion of the appellate court in Boeing Company v. United States; Decision of the Eighth...