Rescuing Catalina: Law, Storytelling, and Unearthing the Hidden History of Southwestern Slavery
- Riding the Underground Railroad. Peterson, Robert W. // Boys' Life;Feb1993, Vol. 83 Issue 2, p30
Focuses on the Underground Railroad that helped slaves flee to freedom before the Civil War (1861-1865). When the first slaves arrived in Jamestown; How the Underground Railroad was organized; Harriet Tubman and her part in the Railroad; Where the slaves found freedom; Timetable of the...
- Resistance and affirmation in African diaspora Latin communities. Vega, Marta Moreno // Heresies;1993, Vol. 7 Issue 27, p78
Presents an excerpt of a slave's deed of sale encapsulating the plight of enslaved African men and women in the Latin Caribbean. Designation of Africans as property; Dislocation of Eurocentric paradigm by African descendants; Factors promoting `blancamiento' in Latin America.
- The paradox of slavery. // Wilson Quarterly;Summer94, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p136
Evaluates the article `European and the Rise and Fall of African Slavery in the Americas: An Interpretation,' by David Eltis in `The American Historical Review,' 1993. Citing of alternative sources of cheap labor in Europe; Legitimacy of slavery during Columbus' American expedition; Notions on...
- Through slavery's darkest passages. // Essence (Essence);Oct92, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p102
Traces the slave history of Ghana. Millions of people that were captured, enslaved and brought to the Americas; Miserable conditions in Cape Coast Castle where male slaves were kept; Visiting the site today.
- Of human bondage. Boukhari, Sophie // UNESCO Sources;Jun95, Issue 70, p10
Traces the origin of slavery and its evolution. Ancient slavery practices; Role of Greek city states in institutionalizing slavery; Launching of the `Slave Route' project by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization; Objective of the project; Analysis of consequences...
- Rice milling, gender and slave labour in colonial South Carolina. Carney, Judith // Past & Present;Nov96, Vol. 153 Issue 1, p108
Focuses on the centrality of labor in the slave experience in South Carolina. South Carolina rice market and slave labor prior to the American Revolution; Market demand and labor intensification; Rice processing and slave labor; Labor and the social organization of production, seasonal rhythms...
- Under the whiplash. Lara, Oruno D. // UNESCO Courier;Oct94, Vol. 47 Issue 10, p8
Discusses slavery, which Aristotle called, a piece of property which is animate.' Slavery in the Greek city-state; The violence that created and maintained the slave system; Whipping; Discussion of when the slave system started to go into decline or be replaced; The sale of African and Malagasy...
- A lingering legacy. Buarque, C. // Americas;May/Jun88, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p30
A look at the abolition of slavery in Brazil one hundred years later. The background to that country's four centuries of economic dependence on slave labor; Description of slave life; Description of the manner in which the slave trade was conducted; The socioeconomic results of the abolition of...
- The royal slave and the prestige of origins. // Kenyon Review;Summer92, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p65
Presents the essay titled `The Royal Slave and the Prestige of Origins,' by Barry Weller.