NEWS IN BRIEF
- Local business groups debate state budget. Brody, Loren // Westchester County Business Journal;08/16/99, Vol. 38 Issue 33, p10
Focuses on the New York state's budget for the fiscal year 1999-2000. Provisions of the budget; Tax cuts; Business groups' debate over the merits of the budget.
- Delayed budget isn't bad for NY. // Crain's New York Business;05/28/2001, Vol. 17 Issue 22, p8
Focuses on the delayed annual budget in New York. Effects of the delay on economic conditions; Ideas from various politicians on spending the budget; Changes in the taxation of the state due to the delay.
- Cuomo's offer. Harrington, John // Crain's New York Business;2/21/94, Vol. 10 Issue 8, p34
Reports on the proposal by former New York Gov. Mario Cuomo on giving out $110 million to the city and county government. Payment of the state last year.
- Brooklyn consortium proposes self-help for after-budget cuts. Baillou, Charles // New York Amsterdam News;5/13/95, Vol. 86 Issue 19, p9
Reports on a conference of persons who are among the most threatened by New York State budget cuts. Speech by Advanced Technological Solutions Inc. chief executive officer (CEO) Wesley Ratcliff, on the connection between economic development and child welfare; Self-help methods discussed.
- Economy. // Crain's New York Business;7/1/2002, Vol. 18 Issue 26, p10
Presents charts and graphs depicting the economic condition in New York. Number of unemployed residents; Change in consumer price index; Average weekly manufacturing and retail wages.
- Deficit swells. Harrington, John // Crain's New York Business;1/23/95, Vol. 11 Issue 4, p50
Reports on the deficit in the state budget of New York. Increase due to problems in banking, insurance and securities.
- NY's fiscal shock and awe. Townsend, Alair // Crain's New York Business;6/2/2003, Vol. 19 Issue 22, p9
The article discusses the economic condition of New York State, as of June 2, 2003. Taxes are rising on income and real estate. Nearly 60 million square feet of commercial space are vacant. The job toll since the start of 2001 exceeds 225,000 and is rising. The stock market is also in a weak...
- NYS budget '99: A boon to business? Magaril, Paul // Business Journal (Central New York);02/19/99, Vol. 13 Issue 7, p14
Looks at New York State senior executives' plans for jumpstarting economic growth throughout the state. Focus on improving upstate communities; Details of a budget proposal presented by the Manufacturers' Association of Central New York; Senator Joseph Bruno's tax-cut plan; Governor George...
- Tough Road Ahead In Albany for New York Businesses. Nauleau, Heidi // Business Journal (Central New York);10/17/2003, Vol. 17 Issue 42, p35
Discusses the budget problems of the New York State government for 2004. Projected deficit; Business Council's request for New York's business community to give ideas on what issues it should lobby most aggressively in Albany; Issues that bear on the state's competitiveness.