Is There Trouble Ahead For Satellite Phones?
- Calling Anywhere On Earth for Just $3,400. J.D. // Fortune;3/1/1999, Vol. 139 Issue 4, p212
Evaluates the satellite telephone from Iridium, which allows users to call anywhere in the world. Price of the basic phone; Cost of telephone calls; Number of satellites in the Iridium system that provide coverage for the entire world.
- Globalstar Rises as Iridium Sinks. // Export Today's Global Business;Apr2000, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p18
Reports on the performance of companies that are offering satellite telephone services as of April 2000. Bankruptcy of Iridium LLC; Launch of GlobalStar USA; Capabilities of satellite phones.
- ICO-Teledesic Global gets investment boost but long road remains. Meyer, Dan // RCR;07/17/2000, Vol. 19 Issue 29, p18
Reports on ICO-Teledesic Global Ltd.'s receipt of investor financing led by Eagle River Investments LLC, Clayton Dubilier & Rice Inc. and Microsoft Corp. Chairman Bill Gates' Cascade Investment LLC.
- ICO-Teledesic, Ellipso enter collaboration agreement. // RCR Wireless News;3/19/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 12, p99
Reports on the licensing agreement between ICO-Teledesic Global Ltd. and Ellipso Inc. to build a mobile satellite system.
- McCaw in Talks With Ellipso That Could Lead to Merger. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;3/19/2001, Vol. 154 Issue 12, p38
Reports on the merger talks between ICO-Teledesic Global Ltd. and Ellipso Inc. Revival of the nongeostationary mobile satellite industry; Services provided by the two companies.
- Satellite Companies Unite. Vaughan, Allyson // Wireless Week;04/02/2001, Vol. 7 Issue 14, p21
Reports on the collaboration agreement reached between ICO-Teledesic Global Ltd. and Ellipso Inc. Plans of ICO-Teledesic to launch broadband satellite Internet access; Details on the agreement; Struggle of ICO-Teledesic to create a viable business.
- Watching the river flow from satellite city. Tagaza, Emilia // Ecos;Autumn95, Issue 83, p16
Presents information on the an additional satellite city of Sydney, Australia. Impact in the North-west Sector; Steps to reduce the load of nutrients from the sewage affluent; Research on the Hawkesbury-Nepean River system; What is being studied by the Coastal Zone Program; Results of study;...
- Choosing your earth station monitor and control system. Gray, DeWayne // Satellite Communications;Oct97, Vol. 21 Issue 10, p42
Presents strategies for updating and selecting ground stations for satellite communication systems. Emphasis on monitor and control for selecting ground station equipment; Recommendation to select equipment with an open architecture; Determination of usage risks.
- Automatically avoiding communication failures. Gray, DeWayne // Telecom Asia;Oct96, Vol. 7 Issue 10, p52
Discusses how automated monitor and control systems for earth stations can keep communication lines open. Importance of monitor and control equipment; Monitor and control methods; Open architecture system; Searching for the perfect monitor and control system.