Revenue-Strapped States Face Shortfalls, But Will They Last?
- Running Out of Options, Tennessee Feels Heat to Institute Income Tax. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;6/6/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31402, p1
Reports the budget shortfalls in the state of Tennessee. Solution to the spending cuts of the government; Amount of the projected gap in the government; Plans on the increase of sales tax.
- Expanding state sales tax does disservice to us all. Doerr, David R. // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;1/10/2003, Issue 323032, p21
Discusses why the plan of the legislative body of the state of California to extend the state-local sales tax in order to close the state's budget deficit would have a negative effect on the economy. Discrimination against small businesses; Difficulty related to the administration of sales tax.
- The case for a sales tax. C.S. // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;9/12/94, Vol. 21 Issue 39, p8
Considers how the push to eliminate the deficit has stalled tax reform in Alberta. Recommendations of the tax reform commission; Consideration of a broad-based consumption (sales) tax; Deficit halved; Willingness of Albertans to spend less; Great danger of sales tax; Warnings by University of...
- The State Deficit. Shyavits, Marci // 21st Century;Jan90, Vol. 1 Issue 5, p9
The author reflects on the use of the sales tax in aiding the budget deficit of Massachusetts. The author states that most of the people are shopping at New Hampshire malls to avoid the 5% sales tax. The author also notes that the government is also planning to increase the sales tax of...
- Parishes, cities taking a hit on sales taxes. Stuart, Stephen // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);10/22/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 18, p4
Reports the influence of recession on the decrease in sales tax in New Orleans, Louisiana. Budget deficit experienced by the city; Decline in the revenue of the tourism industry; Types of taxes considered as revenue generating sources.
- N.Y. County Looking at $70M Refunding to Offset $130M Gap. McDonald, Michael // Bond Buyer;10/6/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 31984, p1
Reports on the plan of Erie County to issue a refunding bond to offset the balance deficit in New York. Generation of debt service savings; Consideration of increasing sales tax; Assessment of the declining budget reserves and lower liquidity.
- STATE OF THE STATE. Fine, Howard // Orange County Business Journal;12/2/2002, Vol. 25 Issue 48, p35
Focuses on the budget deficit in California. Reduction in the state's share of transportation funding; Opposition of the republicans on the tax increases; Proposal to lower the approval for the local sales taxes.
- No Easy Way Out. Straszheim, Donald // Orange County Business Journal;9/1/2003, Vol. 26 Issue 35, p35
Comments on the reliance of California on individual income taxes for state revenues. Assessment of state budget deficit; Sales tax rate; Budget mismanagement.
- Boost STA funding, but not to prior level. // Journal of Business (10756124);2/12/2004, Vol. 19 Issue 4, pA4
Focuses on the response of the Spokane Transit Authority (STA) on funding crisis. Encouragement for the STA board to approve putting sales-tax increase proposal before voters; Budget operating deficit of STA; Problem with sales-tax increase.