Pan-Fried to Extinction
- A shellfish worth its weight in gold. Highet, Juliet // Middle East;Jul2008, Issue 391, p60
The article discusses the valuable abalone fisheries in Oman. It cites that abalone exceeds the approximate revenue of frankincense, Oman's age old export in commercial value, with $60 million estimated annual revenue. It cites that Omani government due to decrease stocks of abalone restricts...
- A new destiny for abalone grow-out ship. // Professional Fisherman;Dec2001, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p15
Provides information on the ship-based green lip abalone grow-out facility of Destiny Abalone in Australia. Description of the cargo vessel in which the abalone will be produced; Advantages of ship-based production over onshore or land-based commercial aquaculture operations; Information on the...
- A LOT ABALONE. Moore, Harrison L. // National Review;8/23/1985, Vol. 37 Issue 16, p34
Reports that businessman George Lockwood is taking his Monterey Abalone Farms abalone business in Monterey, California to the Kona coast of Hawaii on account of interference in his business by the state of California and 55 different government agencies in the United States. Creation of a new...
- Australian abalone growers form united marketing force. // Professional Fisherman;Jan2005, Vol. 27 Issue 3, p8
Reports that five of the largest abalone farms in Australia have established an export marketing company called Ausab. Tonnes of abalone that Ausab plans to export during 2005; Appointment of Yaosan International as marketing consultant for the company; Statement of Yaosan executive Craig Kelly...
- Californians rally to rescue dwindling seafood delicacy. Hanson, Gayle M.B. // Insight on the News;10/06/97, Vol. 13 Issue 37, p38
Opinion. Focuses on the abalone industry in California. Details on the devastation of the industry by a parasitic worm; Name of the worm; Information on the order issued to stop the harvesting of wild red abalone by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife; Comments from John Duffy, the...
- Farming abalone. // NZ Business;Jul97, Vol. 11 Issue 6, p4
Provides information on the development of a standardized technology for commercial hatching and growing abalone (paua) by former fisherman and green mussel farming pioneer, Stuart McFarlane. Information on his company, Abalonics who has patented the technology worldwide; Destribution of...
- Floating abalone farm commences first full year of operations. // Professional Fisherman;Feb2003, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p10
Reports that Australia's first floating abalone farm has headed to sea to begin its first full year of operation. Two million dollar refitting of Destiny Abalone.
- White Abalone: Loved to Death. Franz, Damon // E: The Environmental Magazine;Mar/Apr2000, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p19
Focuses on the possible extinction of white abalone along California's coastline from Mexico to Oregon. Effect of intense commercial and recreational harvesting of white abalone; Conservation of white abalone through breeding.
- Capture or culture? // Geography;Oct99, Vol. 84 Issue 365, p364
Looks at global trends in abalone fisheries. Effect of the increase in the market for luxury food products in the wealthier countries of the world; Habitat of abalone; Information on abalone farming.