Portability Becomes Palatable
- Address The Numbering Crisis. Sukawaty, Andrew // Wireless Week;08/16/99, Vol. 5 Issue 33, p41
Uncovers the problem of phone number shortage due to rapid growth of wireless communication systems in the United States. Steps on how the wireless industry and regulators can manage the crisis.
- Look Who's Calling. Kridel, Tim // Wireless Review;02/01/2000, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p46
Discusses the benefits of a caller identification to (ID) subscribers of wireless communication systems in the United States. How a caller ID works; Details on the ability of the systems to deliver caller ID information. INSET: It's Dilbert Calling.
- An Internet-based Method of Selecting Control Populations for Epidemiologic Studies. Mary Bishop Stone; Joseph L. Lyon; Sara Ellis Simonsen; George L. White; Stephen C. Alder // American Journal of Epidemiology;Jan2007, Vol. 165 Issue 1, p109
Identifying control subjects for epidemiologic studies continues to increase in difficulty because of changes in telephone technology such as answering services and machines, caller identification, and cell phones. An Internet-based method for obtaining study subjects that may increase response...
- Guilty secrets of the silent callers. McKelvey, Charlie // Precision Marketing;11/4/2005, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p15
Comments on the risk associated with the regulation governing silent calls in Great Britain. Fines for silent calls; Security issues underlying the caller line identity scheme; Possible resolutions to the problem involving silent calls.
- I Declare War on Telemarketers. Bass, Steve // PC World;Feb1999, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p41
Presents the author's use of software designed to combat telemarketers. Use of Enigma, a program that produces eight questions to ask the telemarketers, based on the Telephone Consumer Protection Act; Reasons why the author bought Nortel's Meridian 9617 caller identification system, which...
- Carriers Struggle To Meet Portability Deadline. Vaughan, Allyson // Wireless Week;02/19/2001, Vol. 7 Issue 8, p10
Deals with the challenge to companies of the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC) mandate to have wireless number portability by November 2002. Extension made by the FCC on the deadline for wireless carriers to comply with the number portability; Benefit of offering customers...
- CORDLESS PHONES Sound distinctions. // Consumer Reports;Oct2004, Vol. 69 Issue 10, p40
Provides information on several cordless telephones. Comparison of the phones in regards to reception, features, battery life, cost and other features; Need for consumers to decide what features they want in a phone; Analysis of the most popular are telephone features, including caller ID,...
- Jabra BT800 Bluetooth headset. // APC (Bauer Media Group);Aug2005, Vol. 25 Issue 8, p120
Evaluates the BT800 Bluetooth headset from Jabra Corp. Information that the headset comes with calling line identifier display; Assessment that the headset need not have the calling line identifier display because it is used for listening; Information about the price of the product.
- Wireless carriers state case for directory. Gross, Grant // Network World;9/27/2004, Vol. 21 Issue 39, p16
The article reports on a U.S. legislation on wireless carriers. Privacy advocates and some senators questioned, however. whether wireless carriers would protect customer privacy in the long term without rules in place about how they handle the release of customer phone numbers. The wireless...