Tennessee, Needing Education Funding, Considers Lottery Resolution Once Again
- Lottery's pot for schools ends up short. Bennett, David // Crain's Cleveland Business;7/23/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 30, p3
Reports on the decline in lottery sales in Ohio. Shortfall in the lottery's contribution to school financing in fiscal 2001; Competition faced by the lottery from a growing number of gambling venues; Lottery Commission's vote to change Super Lotto to Super Lotto Plus in the hope of creating...
- Can students truly benefit from state lotteries: a look at lottery expenditures towards education in the American states. Stanley, Rodney E.; French, P. Edward // Social Science Journal;2003, Vol. 40 Issue 2, p327
State operated lotteries are popular revenue generating devices used by many state governments to supplement per pupil education expenditures with ï¿½voluntaryï¿½ tax dollars. States without lotteries are stipulating that gaming revenues offer a windfall of hope for per pupil funding...
- S.C. Lottery Proposal Advances in Legislature. Blair, Julie // Education Week;04/21/99, Vol. 18 Issue 32, p18
Focuses on a referendum in South Carolina authorizing a state lottery for education. Proposed use for the projected earnings of the lottery; Reaction of lawmakers and education experts on the issue; Views of political analysts regarding the matter.
- Nation's oldest lottery marks 35 years in business. // New Hampshire Business Review;04/09/99, Vol. 21 Issue 8, p6
Presents data on the amount of money generated by the New Hampshire Lottery in light of the lottery's 35th anniversary in March 1999. Funds generated for education in New Hampshire; Total amount generated in gross revenues in fiscal 1998; Ranking based on per capita ticket sales out of the...
- Focus. Ward, Seamus // Public Finance;11/21/97, p12
Focuses on the funding of secondary schools with money from lotteries in the United Kingdom. Reference to the poem, `The Lake Isle of Innisfree,' by William Butler Yeats; Details on Lottery funds allocated by the Millennium Commission for schools and other projects; Concerns of the Association...
- Winning Numbers. // Business NH Magazine;Dec2002, Vol. 19 Issue 12, p9
Features the New Hampshire lottery. Gross revenue for the organization; Use of the funds for education; Lottery cost of sales; Operating expenses.
- Study Offers New Insights on State Lotteries. Manzo, Kathleen Kennedy // Education Week;11/01/2000, Vol. 20 Issue 9, p21
Reports on the study published in the 'North Carolina Insight' journal on how schools benefits from lotteries in the United States. Trends in schools' use of lottery revenues; Stability of lotteries as a source of income.
- Critics Blast Tech School Lottery Plan. // Community College Week;6/24/2002, Vol. 14 Issue 23, p25
Focuses on the criticisms of parents, students and teachers on the technical school lottery spending plan in South Carolina. Frustration of some education administrators over the inability of the legislature to deliver free tuition promised by lottery supporters; Benefits for students who...
- S. Carolina, Virginia the Latest to Hit Lottery for Education. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;11/16/2000, Vol. 334 Issue 31019, p30
Reports the approval of the operation of state-operated lotteries to finance education in several states in the United States. Details on states implementing lotteries; Sale of bonds for public schools, colleges and universities; Amendment of lottery regulations in Virginia.