Schiffrin Paints A Bleak Picture For Small Publishers At APP Conference
- The New Press: Five years `in the public interest.' Reid, Calvin // Publishers Weekly;11/3/1997, Vol. 244 Issue 45, p14
Looks at New Press, which is celebrating its fifth anniversary in the fall of 1997. The New Press as a determined alternative to the business-as-usual publishing industry; The history of the company, which was started by Andre Schiffrin; Recent New Press titles, such as `Lies My Teacher Told...
- Publishing Is Dead, Long Live Books. Doherty, Brian // Reason;Nov2010, Vol. 42 Issue 6, p72
The article reports on the move of AndrÃ© Schiffrin as he runs the New Press.
- Pantheon echoes at NBCC ceremony. Baker, J.; Reid, C. // Publishers Weekly;3/23/1990, Vol. 237 Issue 12, p13
Reports on the reactions at the National Book Critics Circle awards ceremony at New York University on March 8, over the departure of Andre Schiffrin from Pantheon Books. Outspoken author E.L. Doctorow; Publisher James Laughlin spoke of the `disgusting scandal'; Winners at the awards.
- Andre Schiffrin returns, with new ideas and a New Press. Reid, C.; Reuter, M. // Publishers Weekly;1/13/1992, Vol. 239 Issue 3, p8
States that Andre Schiffrin is returning to publishing with a new spring list and a new, unconventional not-for-profit publishing venture, `The New Press.' Funded by grants from 13 major foundations; Spring list of eight books led by `Race: How Blacks and Whites Think and Feel About the...
- A sad day for Andre Schiffrin -- and for publishing. Baker, J. // Publishers Weekly;3/9/1990, Vol. 237 Issue 10, p8
Reports that Andre Schiffrin has been replaced as head of Pantheon, which publishes serious books for people interested in the state of the contemporary world, by Fred Jordan. Feelings of the author; Robert Bernstein, retired head of Random; Complaints against Pantheon.
- Schiffrin to leave Pantheon Books. Reuter, M. // Publishers Weekly;3/9/1990, Vol. 237 Issue 10, p10
Reports on the resignation from Pantheon Books of Andre Schiffrin, who has been associated for 28 years with Pantheon. Fred Jordan named vice-president and publisher; Alberto Vitale, chairman and chief executive of Random House; S.I. Newhouse, owner of Random House.
- The New Press: 20 Years of Publishing 'in the Public Interest' Reid, Calvin // Publishers Weekly;3/19/2012, Vol. 259 Issue 12, p11
The article announces the anniversary of the New Press, a publishing house which was founded by Andre Schiffrin and which has been in business for 20 years as of March 2012, and discusses the its prizewinning books, electronic books, and mission for social change.
- An Old Publisher's Lament. LAIQ, JAWID // Economic & Political Weekly;6/8/2013, Vol. 48 Issue 23, p30
No abstract available.
- In Defense of AndrÃ© Schiffrin. // Publishers Weekly;12/9/2013, Vol. 260 Issue 50, p12
A letter is presented from former boss of publisher and director AndrÃ© Schiffrin of Random House's Pantheon Books imprint, Robert Bernstein, to the editor of the "New York Times" newspaper in response to Schiffrin's obituary in the December 1, 2013 issue.