N.H. Governor Proposes New Tax Plan to Ease Funding Crisis
- N.H. Governor Proposes Sales Tax To Pay for Schools. Viadero, Debra // Education Week;02/14/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 22, p20
Reports on New Hampshire Governor Jeanne Shaheen's proposed sales tax as a way to solve its long-running problems over how to pay for schools. Difficulties stemming from a 1997 state supreme court decision that declared its school funding system unfair and unconstitutional; Objection from...
- New Hampshire has strayed from its founding principles. Fernald, Mark // New Hampshire Business Review;05/05/2000, Vol. 22 Issue 10, p11
Urges fairness in New Hampshire's funding of the state's obligation to public education. Highly regressive tax structure resulting from reliance on property taxes; Concerns over their effects on community spirit; Governor Jeanne Shaheen's failure to support a fair funding plan.
- The stress levels are rising as school-funding reality sets in. Jacobson, Alf // New Hampshire Business Review;08/27/99, Vol. 21 Issue 19, p11
Focuses on the alleged school funding solution to the Claremont II issue which has been promoted by New Hampshire Governor Jeanne Shaheen. Information on Claremont II funding solution issues; Its political implication; Shaheen's solutions to the education funding; Conditions that Shaheen...
- Governor's budget plan shows support for higher education. Cook, Bradford E. // New Hampshire Business Review;02/26/99, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p7
Presents news briefs about education in New Hampshire as of February 26, 1999. Governor Jeanne Shaheen's proposed fiscal budget allocating funds for higher education; Launch by pastor Christopher Emerson of a newsletter that focuses on the interplay between public life and moral teaching.
- Mich. Voters Reject Amendment To Retool Tax System. Harp, Lonnie // Education Week;6/9/1993, Vol. 12 Issue 37, p21
The article reports on the disapproval by the Michigan voters to the constitutional amendment to retool tax system by reducing school's reliance in local property taxes. The initiative would have mandated property tax relief and limited local assessment growth while raising revenue by sales tax...
- Despite anti-tax pledge, N.H. faces new tax. Hart, Jeffrey // Human Events;05/16/97, Vol. 53 Issue 19, p11
Comments on New Hampshire Governor Jeanne Shaheen's proposal to increase taxes in the state. Claim that New Hampshire has been one of the most tax-resistant states in the US; Reason for the increase; Impact on the residents in the state.
- Court ruling exposes flaws in statewide property tax scheme. Jacobson // New Hampshire Business Review;10/22/99, Vol. 21 Issue 23, p11
Focuses on the flaws of a statewide property tax scheme proposed by New Hampshire's governor Jeanne Shaheen. Ruling of the New Hampshire Supreme Court's rejecting the tax scheme; Shaheen's political agenda in proposing the scheme; Burden that will be caused by the capital gains tax to retirees.
- 2006 Property Tax Rates in Hays County ESD #5. // Free Press (Buda, TX);8/23/2006, Vol. 103 Issue 19, p10
The article presents a notice concerning property tax rates for Kyle, Texas in 2006. The notice is composed of three tax rates including the tax rate in 2005, the effective tax rate and the rollback tax rate in 2006. Information on unencumbered fund balances, debt service and expected revenue...
- Arkansas lawmakers may heed voters' appeals for tax reform. Sanders, Lisa // Bond Buyer;01/20/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30561, p23
Reports that Arkansas lawmakers may approve a tax reform measure in their 1999 session following continued pressure from voters who want to abolish property tax and replace it with sales tax. Impact of the abolition of property tax on the finance of local governments; Estimated amount of school...