N.H. Governor Proposes New Tax Plan to Ease Funding Crisis
- N.H. Governor Proposes Sales Tax To Pay for Schools. Viadero, Debra // Education Week;02/14/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 22, p20
Reports on New Hampshire Governor Jeanne Shaheen's proposed sales tax as a way to solve its long-running problems over how to pay for schools. Difficulties stemming from a 1997 state supreme court decision that declared its school funding system unfair and unconstitutional; Objection from...
- New Hampshire has strayed from its founding principles. Fernald, Mark // New Hampshire Business Review;05/05/2000, Vol. 22 Issue 10, p11
Urges fairness in New Hampshire's funding of the state's obligation to public education. Highly regressive tax structure resulting from reliance on property taxes; Concerns over their effects on community spirit; Governor Jeanne Shaheen's failure to support a fair funding plan.
- The stress levels are rising as school-funding reality sets in. Jacobson, Alf // New Hampshire Business Review;08/27/99, Vol. 21 Issue 19, p11
Focuses on the alleged school funding solution to the Claremont II issue which has been promoted by New Hampshire Governor Jeanne Shaheen. Information on Claremont II funding solution issues; Its political implication; Shaheen's solutions to the education funding; Conditions that Shaheen...
- Governor's budget plan shows support for higher education. Cook, Bradford E. // New Hampshire Business Review;02/26/99, Vol. 21 Issue 5, p7
Presents news briefs about education in New Hampshire as of February 26, 1999. Governor Jeanne Shaheen's proposed fiscal budget allocating funds for higher education; Launch by pastor Christopher Emerson of a newsletter that focuses on the interplay between public life and moral teaching.
- Mich. Voters Reject Amendment To Retool Tax System. Harp, Lonnie // Education Week;6/9/1993, Vol. 12 Issue 37, p21
The article reports on the disapproval by the Michigan voters to the constitutional amendment to retool tax system by reducing school's reliance in local property taxes. The initiative would have mandated property tax relief and limited local assessment growth while raising revenue by sales tax...
- Despite anti-tax pledge, N.H. faces new tax. Hart, Jeffrey // Human Events;05/16/97, Vol. 53 Issue 19, p11
Comments on New Hampshire Governor Jeanne Shaheen's proposal to increase taxes in the state. Claim that New Hampshire has been one of the most tax-resistant states in the US; Reason for the increase; Impact on the residents in the state.
- Court ruling exposes flaws in statewide property tax scheme. Jacobson // New Hampshire Business Review;10/22/99, Vol. 21 Issue 23, p11
Focuses on the flaws of a statewide property tax scheme proposed by New Hampshire's governor Jeanne Shaheen. Ruling of the New Hampshire Supreme Court's rejecting the tax scheme; Shaheen's political agenda in proposing the scheme; Burden that will be caused by the capital gains tax to retirees.
- Senate kindergarten plan resembles an old DOS program. Jean, Bob // New Hampshire Business Review;05/23/97, Vol. 19 Issue 11, p8
Opinion. Comments on the New Hampshire Senate kindergarten plan. Comment by New Hampshire Governor Jeanne Shaheen on the significant information concerning budget for the kindergarten plan; Reasons for failing to implement previous kindergarten by Senate Republicans; Shaheen's credibility with...
- Search for school-funding solution is still a struggle. Jacobson, Alf // New Hampshire Business Review;04/06/2001-04/19/2001, Vol. 23 Issue 7, p13
Discusses the struggle over school funding in New Hampshire and Governor Jeanne Shaheen's threat to shut down the state government. Shaheen's goal of getting public support for funding on the basis of her Excel program; Certain state House members' opposition to the plan because of its...