North Carolina and a Maryland County Wonder What to Do With Deficits
- Once 'Sacred,' School Aid Falls Prey To Budget Cuts, NCSL Report Finds. Zehr, Mary Ann // Education Week;5/7/2003, Vol. 22 Issue 34, p22
As U.S. states plan for the fiscal year that begins July 1, 2003 for 46 of them, many states remain poised to cut education funding in order to come up with workable budgets, a report by the National Conference of State Legislatures says. In "State Budget Update: April 2003," released in April...
- California Counties Feel the Pinch. Ward, Andrew // Bond Buyer;7/30/2009, Vol. 369 Issue 33158, p1
The article reports on the $3 billion loss on the budget deal signed by state governor Arnold Schwarzenegger for the state fund in San Francisco, California. The California State Association of Counties reveals on the shortage of the budget, with worries that the state counties depended heavily...
- Rebalancing Act. Greenblatt, Alan // Governing;Nov2005, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p63
Reports on the pressure to use U.S. state reserve accounts for funding social programs despite the increase in savings as of November 2005. Worth of reserve funds used by states to close budget deficits since 2001; States that demonstrate aggressiveness in restoring depleted reserves.
- Rethinking the Rules. Petersen, John E. // Governing;Dec2002, Vol. 16 Issue 3, p58
Comments on the no-deficit rule in the U.S. Reason for the implementation of the no-deficit rule; Top claimants of state budgets; Things to consider with regard to the budget deficit faced by the U.S. in fiscal 2003.
- ARE STATE BUDGETS SOUND? // State Legislatures;Oct/Nov2005, Vol. 31 Issue 9, p24
The article discusses factors that affect the soundness of state budgets in the U.S. States are required to balance their budgets. In recent years lawmakers closed budget gaps by cutting spending, raising revenues or tapping reserves. Some states even borrowed money. Nearly every state used...
- Over a Cliff. Smith, Edward // State Legislatures;Jun2009, Vol. 35 Issue 6, p22
The article focuses on the possible worsening of budget deficits in U.S. states in 2010 and 2011 according to a report released by the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL). The report says that states have budget deficit of $102 billion for the fiscal year 2009. NCSL predicts that it...
- A BLADE THAT CUTS BOTH WAYS. // New Republic;2/14/2005, Vol. 232 Issue 5, p8
Focuses on the way in which Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels is dealing with the state's budget deficit. Role of Daniels as U.S. President George W. Bush's former budget director; Report that Daniels had thought the nation's budget deficit could be dealt with by cutting government spending; Claim...
- The State They're In. Resnick, Amy B. // Financial Planning;Apr2003, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p30
Presents a chart on the U.S. state budget conditions as of April 2003.
- Seasons of Spending. Zelio, Judy // State Legislatures;Jul/Aug99, Vol. 25 Issue 7, p68
Provides information on United States state budget. Components of state budget; Most notable change in spending priorities; Impact of computers on state budgets.