Virginia Senators Put Brakes on Governor's Goal: Car-Tax Repeal
- Car owners ante up state and local taxes. // State Legislatures;Mar98, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p7
Focuses on value-based taxes on motor vehicles in United States proposed by Virginia governor James Gilmore. Ways wherein value-based tax on motor vehicles is levied in 31 states; Different ways of the states in determining its vehicle values.
- Car tax puts governor, lawmakers at odds. // State Government News;Feb2001, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p8
Reports on the conflict between Virginia Governor James S. Gilmore and Virginia legislators over the governor's plan to eliminate the property tax on personally owned vehicles. Rate of reduction in car tax implemented in Virginia in year 2000; Plan of Gilmore to make up for the government...
- Democrats Pan Efforts to Repeal Virginia's Car Tax. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;01/12/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31056, p4
Reports that Democrats in Virginia's General Assembly supported Governor James S. Gilmore III's efforts in repealing the last installment of the state's automobile tax. Governor's commitment to press on with his proposed automobile tax cut despite opposition in the Legislature; Rating agency...
- Briefly. // Automotive News;11/10/1997, Vol. 71 Issue 5739, p2
Presents items of interest in the automotive industry for November 10, 1997. The opening of a supermarket near the site of Henry Ford's Model T assembly plant, which will be historically marked, in Michigan; The opportunity to test drive electric vehicles at Disney World in Florida; Jim Gilmore...
- Good times in Virginia may mean less debt this year. Meisler, Daniel // Bond Buyer;01/15/99, Vol. 327 Issue 30559, p4
Discusses the impact of Virginia's booming revenue collections to the state bond market. Issuance of a smaller volume of state bonds; Proposed transportation bonding plan; Outline of Governor James Gilmore's proposed tax cuts and spending programs.
- Gilmore Stands Firm on Scrapping Car Tax. Gizzi, John // Human Events;02/26/2001, Vol. 57 Issue 8, p5
Discusses the commitment of Republican Governor James Gilmore of Virginia to phase out the state's car tax. Significance of Gilmore's plan to abolish car tax on the tax cut initiative of United States President George W. Bush; Why conservative Republicans oppose the car tax repeal; Major...
- Tobacco Plan Nixed in Virginia Senate Committee May Yet Find Life in House. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;01/16/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31057, p6
Reports on the Virginia Senate's vote in January 2001 to reject the tobacco bond proposals of Governor James S. Gilmore. Gilmore's plan to use the bonds to free up funds to pay for the last installment of the repeal of the tax on automobiles; Legislators' claim that the infusion of tobacco...
- Virginia Attorney General Backs Gov. Gilmore in Car Tax Battle. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;02/14/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31077, p34
Reports the support of Virginia Attorney General Mark L. Earley for Governor James S. Gilmore's proposed amendments to the state's biennial budget on car tax. Plan to roll back the car tax; Infusion of tobacco funds and tax repeal; Discussion of the 1998 Personal Property Tax Relief Act.
- Assembly Deadlocks Over Car Tax Repeal; Tobacco Plan Dies. Vadum, Matthew // Bond Buyer;02/27/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31085, p6
Focuses on Virginia General Assembly's failure to address Governor James Gilmore III's proposed repeal of the state's car tax. Gilmore's call for state agencies to begin planning how to cut their budgets; Absence of cuts to public education or social services.