Cancer Study Bolsters Industry's Safety Claims
- Pacemakers and digital cell phones. Kren, Lawrence // Machine Design;01/13/2000, Vol. 72 Issue 1, p52
Reports that wireless telephones pose little or no health risk to pacemaker patients, according to a study by Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association. How pacemakers work; Other findings of the study.
- More phone safety disclosures ahead. Kirwan, Roberta // Money;Jan2001, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p126
Mentions the ruling by the Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association that members should disclose specific absorption rate (SAR), or the amount of radiation taken in by the body, on cell phone models introduced after August 1, 2000. Web sites comparing models and their SAR; Limit for SAR...
- CTIA's Donate a Phone collects 1 million handsets. // RCR Wireless News;3/25/2002, Vol. 21 Issue 12, p20
Announces the number of wireless phones collected by the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association from its Donate a Phone program for charities. Recipients of the wireless phone program; Expansion being planned for the program.
- Manufacturers Unveil Next-Generation Phones. Palenchar, Joseph // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;04/02/2001, Vol. 16 Issue 8, p29
Focuses on the product offerings of second and next generation telephone handsets manufacturers unveiled during the Cellular Telephone Industry Association Wireless 2001 event. Audiovox; Denso; Ericsson; Kyocera; Mitsubishi; Motorola; Samsung; Siemens.
- Survey Finds 21% Gain In '99 Net New Subscribers. Palenchak, Joseph // TWICE: This Week in Consumer Electronics;04/28/2000, Vol. 15 Issue 11, p85
Reports on the increase in the number of net new wireless phone subscribers in the United States in 1999 according to the Cellular Telecommunications Industry Association. Percentage of growth in various wireless phone categories.
- FCC Docket 94-102. Gray, Tom; Hall, Verdette // Public Management (00333611);Jun99, Vol. 81 Issue 6, p6
Highlights the implementation of the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Docket 94-102, designed to improve servicing of 911 calls originating from wireless telephones. Description of the 911 service in the 1980s; Growth of cellular use according to the Cellular...
- Worth noting. Milne, Sue; Stafford, Phil // Bulletin with Newsweek;01/27/98, Vol. 117 Issue 6107, p13
Quotes the comment of a cancer specialist regarding dismissal of a study linking mobile telephone use with brain tumors. Assertion that car accidents are a greater risk.
- Untitled. Pappas, Ben // Self;Feb2000, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p59
Presents tips on how to minimize oneself from radiation exposure in using wireless cellular phones. Use of an earpiece or headset; Making calls when in a good signal.
- New study links cancer to phones. Silva, Jeffrey // RCR;05/05/97, Vol. 16 Issue 18, p1
Cites a study conducted in Australia which found that rodents exposed to wireless phone radiation, can develop cancer. Potential health risks of wireless phones; Publication of the study; Views of Michael Repacholi, director of the World Health Orgnization's field research program; Assessment of...